Single Ladies’ Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and for the single collegiettes out there who are scrambling for a date but are coming up short, no worries! There are many ways to spend Valentine’s Day even if you’re single. Instead of going on Facebook and Instagram watching your phone fill up with pictures of roses and love notes as you lay in your bed wondering, “Why don’t I have a Valentine?”, you can choose to celebrate boyfriend-less this year.  Here are some ways to do that!

1. I’m sure everyone has seen the previews for “Safe Haven,” but did you realize it comes out on Valentine’s Day? It’s a movie based on the book, written by Nicholas Sparks, about the conflict between having a secret past that haunts you and keeps you closed off versus opening up and letting love into your life. It sounds precious, relatable, and did I mention that the male star in the movie is Josh Duhamel? Enough said. In all honesty, I’m sure we’d all rather be staring at Mr. Duhamel splashing around in the ocean than going to dinner with a Valentine anyway, so there’s one point for the single ladies of the world. (And no one has to admit it, but Julianne Hough is the female lead and I’m sure most of us have a girl crush on her, so bonus!)

1. You may feel like you’re the only one without a Valentine but if you actually look around, I’m sure you’ll notice some of your friends don’t either. Getting together and going out to dinner with the girls is always a fun option, even on Valentine’s Day. Doesn’t spending a night devouring Olive Garden breadsticks with your best friends sound better than anything else?
  1. It’s a really nice idea to do something kind for a friend or two on Valentine’s Day. For your single friends, there’s no reason you can’t give them flowers or chocolates. Doing a nice deed will increase your mood and theirs.  Everyone wins.

1. Go to the gym! Not only does working out release endorphins that leave you feeling happier, but going to the gym on Valentine’s Day will motivate you to work out harder than usual, making you feel accomplished. You’ll feel strong, happy, and ready to take on the world without needing a guy to do so.

1. If all else fails, there’s nothing wrong with putting on your favorite pajamas, feasting on a box of self bought chocolates, and watching some of your favorite movies. It’s all about the attitude towards the situation, rather than the situation itself. If you can hang out by yourself, eat some chocolate, and relax without making it a pity party, then there’s nothing wrong with this option! Realize how much you deserve that “you time”, then go for it, and enjoy.