Simple Thanksgiving DIY’s and Decorations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, here are some easy decorations to help make your dorm more festive or spice up your Thanksgiving dinner.

Scrapbook Page Quotes

This is perfect to display on your Thanksgiving table to keep your family and friends feeling thankful. Here’s what you’ll need:

1. Scrapbook Paper.
  2. A printer and paper.
  3. Computer.
  4. Scissors.
  5. Glue-stick or Elmer’s glue.

Here’s how to put it together:

1. Google Thanksgiving quotes (or images) on computer.
  2. Save image(s) to computer.
  3. Open a word document – click insert, watermark, then select picture at the top of the box. Next, fit and select the picture you saved, then adjust the washout and scale to page. Finally, save and print.
  4. Cut edges off of quote/picture printed if needed.
  5. Center and glue to scrapbook paper with glue-stick or Elmer’s glue.
  6. Place on table!

Easy DIY Free table cloth

Hate how every dish on your Thanksgiving table slides off with the tablecloth? You already have a slide free one in your home that you don’t have to hold down. (Note: this is best for rectangular tables)

Here’s what you’ll need:

1. A Fall colored fitted bed sheet. It will automatically strap to the sides of your table, making it slide-free!

Leaf-covered Candle Holders

These candleholders are not only festive but incredibly beautiful for the entire fall season.

Here’s what you’ll need:

1. A small-medium sized clear mason jar.
  2. Mod Podge.
  3. Sponge brush, or a large paint brush.
  4. Orange, red and yellow leaves, (real or fake).

Here’s how to make them:

1. Put a medium amount of mod podge in a plastic plate/cup.
  2. Put one leaf at a time on jar, arranging it the way you want it to look.
  3. Dip brush in mod podge and spread it on the jar over the leaves.
  4. Let the jar dry, then put your candle in it!

Leaf Garland

Here’s what you’ll need:

1. Fall colored leaves (either real or fake).

2. Elmer’s glue.

3. String.

4. Hole punch.

5. Glitter (red, orange, yellow, gold, or silver colors are best).

6. Large paint brush.

7. Bowls for glitter & glue.

Here’s how to put it together:

1. Paint over the leaves with Elmer’s glue using a paint brush.
  2. Dip glue covered side of leaves into glitter.
  3. Let glitter dry, and shake off any excess.
  4. Hole punch two holes in the top of each leaf.
  5. String twine/string through the leaves, until you’ve strung it through each leaf.
  6. Cut off and tie at each end.
  7. Hang up nearby the kitchen, living room or wherever you want to put it and enjoy!
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.