Riverdale’s “A Kiss Before Dying” Premiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

If you’re anything like me, when Riverdale came out on Netflix, you were intrigued… but didn’t immediately binge the whole show. No, I did that when I got back to TCNJ, because nothing is more ‘college’ than binging shows with your roommates instead of homework in the beginning of the semester, am I right? And once all was said and binged, we were hooked. Like seriously, my childhood love for Cole Sprouse was brought back and then some with Riverdale! Honestly that season finale had me at the edge of my seat, so I was anxious to sit down and buckle in for the night with some hot coffee, warm cookies, and finally find out what’s going on with the gang after everything went downhill. So, without further ado, on with the article!

The CW’s Riverdale kicks off its Season 2 with a bang… literally! We pick up where Season 1 left off – our dear Archie Andrews is rushing his father to the nearest hospital with no driver’s license, no help, and no idea if he is going to make it in time for his dad to be saved. The showrunners waste no time in getting to the thick of the matter – who shot Mr. Andrews, and what was his motive? Because this was no simple thief, no hit-and-run robber, this was a job. He took out Mr. Andrews and didn’t take a penny from the till of Pop’s Restaurant. And with that, Season 2 has begun.

GIF Source

While Fred Andrews is in the hospital fighting for his life, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead head over to help and support Archie in any way they can. This includes getting Archie home and cleaned up, staying with Mr. Andrews, Betty and Jughead look for Fred’s wallet at Pop’s, and a very spicy shower scene, courtesy of Veronica.

GIF Source

The episode is full of beautifully cut dream sequences, where Fred Andrews is witnessing the future he might have had with his son. It’s touching and it adds some serious suspense and doubt to whether Fred is going to pull through or not. Good news is, he does! And thank gosh for that, because Archie was harboring some real guilt over not being able to do or help more for his dad, so Archie’s vigil begins, and he vows to protect his family with all he is.

Meanwhile, Jughead and Betty have some tender moments, and if you ship Bughead as hard as I do, you know how much I loved last episode, with their touching “I love you’s” and saucy make-out sesh. Of course, Betty is having some doubts regarding Jughead and his possible serpentine future… but this is cleared up by the end of the episode, and our faves are happy! For now…

Gif Source

But the ending of this episode is one heck of a kicker, with the Serpents getting back to Jughead, finally seeing Hiram Lodge, Mrs. Andrews [aka Molly Ringwald] is back at home taking care of Fred, and Miss Grundy makes a final appearance before being brutally murdered! We are in for one rollercoaster of a season and I cannot wait for our gang to kick booty and have each other’s backs, because their friendship is the purest part of the mystery thriller that is Riverdale.

Natalie Matos is a junior at The College of New Jersey majoring in English and minoring in Classical Studies. She loves sharing her thoughts and ideas with the Her Campus community and looks to pursue a career in the Publishing industry.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.