Quotes To Live By As A Collegiate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Being a collegiate means that you are often being pulled in many different directions; homework, essays, studying, internships, job-searching, leadership positions, clubs, and the list goes on. Having all of these responsibilities can lead you to success, or can easily overwhelm you, depending on how you approach your every day life. A great lifestyle begins with a great mindset; remembering what’s important, and not forgetting to take care of yourself. Being a collegiate, and a quote-lover, I’ve come up with a list of 10 quotes for you all to remember throughout your beautiful, busy lives! Enjoy! HCXO

“Don’t forget to fall in love with yourself first.”

-Carrie Bradshaw

Falling in love with who you are is key to living a happy life. You must be in love with your strengths, weaknesses, and quirks. Before you can love anyone else, remember to always love yourself.

“You can’t pour from an empty cup…”

–Unknown

Not only do you have to fall in love with yourself, you must take care of yourself! Your mental, and physical well-being are ESSENTIAL to living the life you desire. You can’t love someone before you love yourself, and you can’t help someone if you don’t help yourself first. Maintain your health by prioritizing exercise, mindfulness/stress-relieving activities, and fueling your body with natural foods; because if you do, then your cup will be over-flowing with inspiration.

“…Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers…” –Veronica A. Shoffstall

Ok. I HIGHLY recommend the entire poem, “After a While” by Veronica A. Shoffstall; it is beautiful. This line is just an excerpt from the poem, but it embodies the importance of being independent, and complete on your own. Do not wait for someone to fulfill your needs and desires; do it on your own. This doesn’t mean that you have to buy yourself flowers, but remember to be entirely who you are, and to not need someone else to feel whole (even though I love buying myself flowers…highly recommend).

“Life is tough my darling, but so are you.”

–Stephanie Bennett-Henry

You most likely know this already, but life isn’t always rainbows and butterflies. There are going to be days when you’re on cloud nine, and days that feel impossible to get through-but you will make it through. Life is constantly testing our abilities, forcing us to realize our strengths, and weaknesses; that’s okay. You find your greatest strength throughout your hardest struggles. Always remember that you’re tougher than you think, and never underestimate yourself…not for a second.

“Be silly, be honest, be kind.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

So we know life is hard, but amidst all of the seriousness and chaos, do not forget to be silly, honest, and kind. Have fun throughout your life, and don’t forget to invest your time into doing things you love. Always remember that the way you treat people is teaching them how to treat you, and everyone wants honesty and kindness in their life. Spread kindness like confetti! Sprinkle some on everyone!

“Never settle for anything less than what you deserve.”

-Unknown

I’m not sure who said this, but I couldn’t say it any better than them. Never, never, never, ever settle. Whether it’s regarding a romantic relationship, a career, or anything else; you deserve the best. Do not be afraid to move on from things that do not serve a positive purpose in your life, and to move towards new things that will.

“People change, things go wrong. Just remember life goes on.”

-Unknown

People will come and go throughout your life. Even the people who you thought would be there until the end, sometimes leave. Everyone who enters your life is there to serve a purpose in your journey, and not everyone is meant to stay. Never let an unanticipated situation question your purpose; life always goes on.

“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”

-Maya Angelou

As you navigate through the busy days of your collegiate life, always remember this quote. Passion, compassion, humor, and style are four qualities that you should embody as a collegiate, and at any stage in your life. Don’t just survive; THRIVE.  

“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style." -Maya Angelou
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.