This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Do you ever find yourself ripping through your closet to find the perfect outfit for a certain occasion? What about having your entire wardrobe thrown around your room in search for the best look for the day? Priya Soni and Arjan Sahni know the struggle, and wanted to find a solution. That’s how the idea for Wardo came to be. The new app helps you plan outfits in advance through your own personal wardrobe so you won’t have to frantically tear through all your clothes to find the right outfit. Her Campus sat down with the founders of Wardo to get to know a little more about their app and what it means for collegiettes everywhere.

HC: How did you guy get the idea for this app? Like, how did it all start?

Priya – I’ve had an idea like this ever since middle school when I found my friends and I asking each other every night before bed what we were wearing the next day. However, I didn’t know how to begin. I’m not a coder and by no means tech-savvy; I’m the ideas person. I told myself to be patient; my app will somehow be made. I set my idea on the backburner for some time, focusing on my education and extracurriculars in high school, but still thinking of ways to make my business happen. I learned in Fall 2016 around the time of the Business School’s Mayo Business Plan Competition that a student named Arjan was pursuing a similar idea. I decided to introduce myself and tell him my story, and ask if he was willing to form a partnership. He was more than happy to have me on board with Wardo. I think everything happens for a reason; and years ago I told myself my business will happen and not to worry. What are the chances of me meeting someone at my college with the same idea as me? It’s fate. Arjan and I were meant to begin Wardo and build a Fashion Empire.

Arjan – I personally started this company because I had first-hand experience feeling dispirited from my outfit being poorly coordinated at an important event. Also, I realized the Fashion Industry is the second most polluting industry in the world, which strongly motivated me to make a difference through technology.

How do you feel this app will help college women, both at TCNJ and at other schools?

Fashion is inevitably part of everyone’s lives. We see our target demographic being college women and women in the workforce. These groups tend to be the most fashion-conscious, and we want to help them become fashion sensible. It’s evident that the way one dresses portrays the way one feels. Empowering women begins with confidence. If we give women the confidence they deserve, they will be able to conquer the world.                                

What has been the campus reaction so far? Have a lot of people been using it?

The reaction throughout campus has been enthusiastic. We have been promoting the app across TCNJ and various campuses across the country. Friends and family have been extremely supportive helping us get the word out about Wardo. Despite releasing just a few days ago, the energy and popularity are there, and we see Wardo being on everyone’s phones and a part of their daily lives.

How does the technology work? Like, how does it plan outfits through the app?

The way the technology works is that users first add their clothes to the app by taking pictures of their clothes. Our unique image cropping algorithm assists users in removing image backgrounds and giving their virtual Wardrobe a magazine style look. Once users add their Wardrobe, they can create outfits by simply dragging items together, and saving them in their calendar to plan out attire for specific days, or in their LookBooks, which are comprised of season, occasion, and event categories.

Is there anything else you want people to know about the app?

Wardo is a mobile app that assists in choosing outfits for specific occasions and planning outfits in advance through a calendar feature anytime/anywhere. Once users virtualize their Wardrobe, they can create outfits, which can be stored in Lookbooks, planned in a calendar, or shared on their social profile. Wardo acts as a social platform for people to discover latest trends, and borrow and lend clothes with their friends.

Apart from providing fashion inspiration, we hope to impact the planet in a positive way by informing others of the environmental harm caused by the fashion industry. Not only does Wardo give tips & tricks on clothing maintenance, but it provides Green Initiatives for its users to follow to ensure Earth’s sustainability.

Want to learn more? Like Wardo on Facebook and follow Wardo on Twitter and Instagram at @Wardoapp.

Cover Image Source

Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.