National Child Abuse Prevention Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

April marks National Child Abuse Prevention Month and is dedicated to supporting victims and raising awareness of this hidden epidemic.

Child abuse can take many forms: neglect, physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, or exploitation. All of these forms of abuse have detrimental effects to an individual, the worst being death. Many children who are mistreated in any way have long lasting psychological effects and it severely impacts their mental health and well-being. It has been found that 80% of 21-year-olds who had been abused during their childhood met the criteria for at least one psychological disorder.

Among industrialized nations, the United States has one of the worst records of child abuse. The statistics surrounding child abuse can be easily distorted, as not every case is reported or discovered. This being said, the facts are shocking and heartbreaking.

Did you know a case of child abuse is reported every ten seconds? That means there is about 3.6 million referrals made to child protection agencies each year.

Did you know that four to five children die per day as a result of abuse and neglect? Over 70% of the children who are killed are two years of age or younger.

Did you know that in 2014 so many victims of child maltreatment were found by state agencies that they could fill ten modern football stadiums? That’s approximately 702,000 victims.

The many organizations at TCNJ do an amazing job at raising awareness for different causes year-round. This month is no different, as Kappa Delta Sorority is having a week full of events that will raise both funds and awareness for the prevention of child abuse both locally and nationally. Check out the scheduled events below!

Child abuse is a tragedy that must end. There is no excuse for the neglect or mistreatment of a child, and this month urges you to see how you can make an impact on the fight against it! Educate yourself on the facts, spread the word, and show your support!

Information source: https://www.childhelp.org/

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.