My Delayed Reaction To Game of Thrones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Game of Thrones has been a hot topic for quite some time, but it took me years to finally hop on the bandwagon. At this point, I can say with absolute certainty that almost everyone I know has already watched all seven seasons of the HBO hit series.

Since high school and throughout my years in college, I’d listened to many people talk about the show, and to be honest, I never understood the obsession. I knew Sunday nights were a special time for avid Game of Thrones watchers because it was all I would read about on Twitter, and I also knew that the conversations at school and work the next day would be about what happened on the latest episode. Although I wasn’t really aware of the premise, I wrote it off because I assumed that it wasn’t my type of show without ever really giving it a chance. I used to roll my eyes when “mega fans” would go on and on about the characters, the couples, etc., until one day about six weeks ago.

I was trying to figure out which show to start watching and my boyfriend suggested Game of Thrones. I agreed but didn’t have much confidence that the show would keep my interest. Boy, was I wrong.

Image Source

After watching the first episode, I was hooked. Now I’ve finished the fifth season, and I want to know everything that happens. Who is actually the true heir to the crown in Westeros? Will Sansa and Arya ever reunite? What happens to Cersei? Will John Snow leave the Night’s Watch? These questions circle around my head throughout the day, nearly every day, and I laugh to myself because I was convinced for so long that I wouldn’t like the series. Turns out, I practically like it too much. Every single weekend is spent binge watching as many episodes as I possibly can because I just want to finish the seventh season already, but also would have to wait until 2019 for the eight season. In my opinion, it became a cruel and unusual punishment.

I want to share my love of Game of Thrones with the world, but I can’t, because there are way too many spoilers at every turn. I avoid reading anything about it because I don’t want to find out what happens before I finish the seasons that have already aired. I’m waiting until I’m all caught up to have discussions about it with people, even though I could probably rant about how much I hate Ramsey Bolton or how I cried for hours when Robb Stark and his mother were killed.

On that note, I bet you know how I’ve been spending all my free time, and all I can say is that I’m so glad I’m watching my new favorite show with my absolute favorite person. GoT for life!

Cover Image Source

Alyssa is a senior English major at TCNJ who loves to read, write, listen to music, and spend time with her friends, family, and dog. She is currently a Features Editor for HCTCNJ. 
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.