Movies To Look Forward To This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Fall is a time for sweaters, pumpkin picking, and snuggling up to new movies that could definitely score at least a 60% on Rotten Tomatoes-which moviegoers know is the real deal. Below are a few of those movies that would be worth the eleven-dollar ticket (excluding snack costs because why pay for snacks when you can just pick some up from the C-store) and provide another option of going-out-fun besides attending a sweaty frat party.

1. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 2- November 20, 2015Yes, Katniss is still fighting the man. The Hunger Games director has decided to take a Twilight/Harry Potter twist on The Hunger Games series by dividing the last film into two parts. Without trying to give too much away for those who didn’t read the series, this is the part where, “what lies ahead are mortal traps, dangerous enemies and moral choices that will ultimately determine the future of millions.” So if you’re in to moral dilemmas and Josh Hutcherson, then this is the movie for you.

2. The Perfect Guy- September 11, 2015If you’re looking for a good romantic movie plus psycho-thriller, then watch The Perfect Guy featuring Michael Ealy’s dreamy blue eyes. Sanna Lathan plays Leah, a driven professional woman, who after breaking up with her boyfriend finds the “perfect guy”, hence the movie title. However, no one is ever truly perfect.

3. About Ray- 2015Changing times call for movies that break barriers, and About Ray is just in time. This film focuses on a transgender boy named Ray who is struggling to physically become a boy in a society that isn’t completely accepting of that yet. Ray is played by Elle Fanning, the sister of Dakota Fanning, whom you may have seen last year in Disney’s Maleficent.

4. Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension- October 23, 2015Can’t get enough of the Paranormal Activity movie franchise? Well then get ready for the sixth installment of the over 300 million dollar grossing film franchise, that will classically be set in home video fashion. After moving into a new home, the father of the family discovers a set of tapes that displays creepy girls predicting the future of the family.

5. The Martian- October 2, 2015Space, Matt Damon, and a plethora of other awesome actors and actresses come together in this movie about an astronaut stranded on Mars. The astronaut, played by Matt Damon, has to divide his time between trying to figure out how to send a signal home in order to be rescued and surviving on an uninhabited planet by himself. So, basically just like his role in Interstellar, but maybe this time he won’t pan out to be such an egregious person.

6. Ashby- September 25, 2015In this coming of age movie comedy, Nat Wolff (from Paper Towns) befriends a terminally ill former CIA assassin played by Mickey Rourke. Emma Roberts is also in the film and it looks like she’ll play the role of Wolff’s potential love interest.

7. Sisters- December 18, 2015Tiny Fey and Amy Poehler are together again! These two hilarious ladies who have long track record in comedy are now playing middle aged sisters, each on opposite sides of the spectrum with Fey playing the party girl and Poehler the put together sister. However, when their parents decide to sell their child hood home, Poehler realizes that she’s never had a crazy moment in her life and throws a house party. Knowing them, they’ll make this party one audiences will never forget.  

8. Star Wars: Episode VII- The Force Awakens- December 18, 2015In a galaxy far far away… the new Star Wars movie will take place thirty years after the events that took place in Return of the Jedi, and will include beloved characters like Luke, Leia, and Han Solo (still played by Harrison Ford). Let’s see if this movie will live up to the classics.

My name is Kaitlyn Njoroge and I am a Sophomore Journalism/ Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. I have experience in online and print writing, and am looking to intern this summer or next year at a magazine or broadcast company. The only word that rhymes with my last name is pierogi, which isn't as fun as it seems because it's my least favorite food in the world. Also, if anyone is interested in reading my posts geared towards feminism, you can also check out my blog at kaitlynnjoroge.wordpress.com
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.