Keep the Pep in Your Step: A Running Playlist to Keep You Moving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

By Gabby Galizio

Fall is the best time of the year for running. The air is crisp, the humidity is low and the sun stays out long enough for you to wait until the tail end of the day to fit that run in. But by now your iPod is most likely filled with Summer Hits that have gotten really old, really fast. It’s time to add some new music, and this playlist is exactly what you need to keep your feet moving, even when your mind wants to give up!

10. “Breakin’ Dishes” by Rihanna- Let’s throw it back to 2007 with this upbeat power anthem that will surely allow you to pound out all your stresses as you get in a great run.

9. “Womanizer” by Britney Spears- With a rhythm that never misses a beat, this song is sure to make you feel empowered.  

8. “Some Nights” by FUN.- While you may have grown tired of this song playing in Eick throughout the entire fall semester last year, I think it’s safe to bring it back! Even though the tempo slows down at times, the lyrics speak of perseverance and will keep you moving. 

7. “I’mma Shine” by Youngbloodz- Coming straight from the Step Up movie soundtrack, this rap song will bring out your inner Rocky Balboa.

6. “Survivor” by Destiny’s Child- Who doesn’t love a Destiny’s throwback? This song is bound to improve your mood as you near the middle of your run. Just the boost you need to get past the halfway mark. 

5. “Applause” by Lady Gaga- This new chart-topper is great for any sort of cardio workout. The contrast between the slow verses and the burst of high-energy chorus is great for incorporating short sprints into your runs.

4. “DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love Again” by Usher ft. Pitbull- There are so many awesome elements that contribute to this hip hop song that will get your heart beating and your feet moving. From Pitbull’s rap solos to Ushers fast-paced refrains, it had to make our list.

3. “Only Girl in the World” by Rihanna- This song definitely makes the top three! Not only does it have a great beat that will make you want to keep going when you’re tired, but it’s also a great girl-power anthem.

2.  “Stronger” by Kanye West- Okay you’re now nearing the end of your run and everything screams “give up!” but this song will prove to you that what doesn’t kill you “only makes you stronger.”

1.“Countdown” by Beyoncé- This is one of my personal all-time favorite songs to run to, which is why it had to take the top spot! The fact that Beyoncé counts down multiple times from 10 to 1 makes this song great for ending a run in intervals of sprints or just mentally helps me countdown the seconds left in a great workout. It always puts me in a great mood.

Now lace-up your shoes, plug up your ears and go run!