How To Have The Perfect Valentine’s Day With Your Special Someone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Valentine’s Day: the one day of the year that couples everywhere go the extra mile to prove their love for one another. If you’re in a relationship and you’re trying to plan your holiday with that special someone, these tips guarantee that you’ll have the most amazing day possible!

Make the effort! Sometimes being in college can make seeing each other difficult, especially if you and your boo go to separate schools. If you can’t see each other on the actual day, send romantic letters in the mail, make time to have a Skype date and plan ahead for a time when you are both free. The most important part of Valentine’s Day isn’t the stuff, it’s the person you’re with.

Spend the day together! Whether it’s on February 14th or a weekend soon after, plan a day together without any distractions so you can both share each other’s company. And hey, it only comes once a year, so playing hooky is totally acceptable (just this once.)

Surprise! Who doesn’t love a good surprise? Surprise your special someone by showing up at their dorm with open arms and some goodies too! Showing up unannounced will show that you planned a thoughtful surprise and seeing that reaction on their face will be so worth it. (Cough-cough, guys, showing up with a bouquet of flowers for your girl won’t hurt either!)

Go where you had your first date! Whether it was a few months ago or a few years ago, your first date is an amazing memory that you both share. Go to the place where it became official and reminisce about the moment your journey together began.

Make dinner! Like they always say, “the best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach!” Buy some of your special someone’s favorite foods, set the table with some romantic scented candles and prepare a meal with all of the foods that will make their hearts (and tummies) happy!

Give meaningful gifts! Keyword: meaningful. It’s not about the amount you spend on a gift but rather what the gift means. Gather pictures of the both of you during your relationship and make a collage, write a love song or make a video montage. These gifts will last forever and they are irreplaceable.

Go sightseeing! Take a trip to Philly or New York City for Valentine’s Day. Plan an exciting trip to a museum, reserve a table at a fancy restaurant, buy tickets for a Broadway show or even check out the concert scene. Taking your honey to see their favorite artist perform will surely make their Valentine’s Day a day to remember.

Go ice-skating! Even though it’s below freezing outside, you can still spend some time in the outdoors. Go ice-skating and help each other up when each falls. You can also hold hands and cuddle up in the cold with some hot chocolate to keep warm!

Tell them how much they mean to you. The most important part of Valentine’s Day is having someone to share it with. Having a significant other in your life is a blessing and this day, just like every other day, should celebrate it. Make sure you tell that special someone just how much you love them.

Cristina is a junior at The College of New Jersey studying English Secondary Education. She loves writing and is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus Staff! Cristina is a DJ at the radio station located on The College of New Jersey campus, 91.3 WTSR. She also loves music and records covers and originals in her free time.