sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get in the Halloween Spirit When You’re Busy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

October is a fun-filled month of candy, costumes, scary movies, pumpkin picking, and more, but sometimes it can feel like you’re missing out on it when you’re incredibly busy. If you’re in my shoes, you don’t have all that much time to join in on the Halloween festivities, but I promise there’s still a way to experience Halloween to the fullest.

Drink a pumpkin spice coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

If you’re going to go to Dunkin anyway, you might as well pick up a fall-themed drink and have a little taste of the month that we all love so much.

Use pumpkin/apple/cinnamon scented lotion, hand sanitizer, etc.

Nothing gets you quite in the mood for Halloween like smelling pumpkins and apples all day long. It seems like something so simple, but trust me, it will make a difference.

Buy yourself a bag of Halloween candy.

Relive your childhood spent trick-or-treating and grab a bag of your favorite candy from the grocery store. It’ll take no time at all to eat that Kit Kat or Crunch, but it’ll get you in the Halloween spirit, and you’ll feel like a little kid again. It’s a win-win!

Put a Halloween movie on in the background.

Now I know they say multi-tasking makes you unproductive, but the truth is, we’re going to do it anyway, so instead of having the TV turned onto a random channel, why not put on Hocus Pocus or It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown?

Decorate your desk.

I have a glass pumpkin sitting on my desk, and when I’m in the middle of doing something, that pumpkin makes me smile because it reminds that it’s the best time of year.

Even if you don’t have time to binge watch horror movies and go to ten costume parties this year, there are small things you can do to make it feel like Halloween. These are just a few options, and there are many more. No matter what you do to celebrate, don’t give up on enjoying this time of year.  

Alyssa is a senior English major at TCNJ who loves to read, write, listen to music, and spend time with her friends, family, and dog. She is currently a Features Editor for HCTCNJ. 
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.