The Five Lovable Characters of TCNJ (Past and Present)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

There’s no place like home, and at TCNJ, certain lovable characters make us feel right where we belong. TCNJ has its fair share of interesting occurrences – a quick look through
@TCNJProblems will indicate that – and there are plenty of people who help make these possible.

Here is Her Campus TCNJ’s list of the most memorable characters that make our college experience that much better. Because let’s be honest, we love the reaction we get from our home friends when we tell them about the guy who sells pizzas out of the back of his white two-door.

1.   Larry

It’s 7:30 a.m. and you have already checked your email 10 times hoping that your 8 a.m. class is cancelled. You sleepily walk to Eickhoff in a fog of anger at your teacher – and yourself for ever thinking it was a good idea to take a class so early. You give your ID card to Larry, and he gives you a high-five. 

“How ya doing?” he asks excitedly. Day. Instantly. Made. 

Larry has brightened our mornings, enhanced our lunches and, occasionally, has made us put  on our dancing shoes during dinner (not kidding). He makes mealtime a point to look forward to. Every TCNJ student has a memorable Larry experience, and the stories that come as a result make us laugh, smile, and fondly look back on our meals. 

2. Dean Rifkin

Not to say that the School of Humanities and Social Sciences is better than any other school, but we have the self-proclaimed “friendly neighborhood Dean,” Benjamin Rifkin. Every Sunday, Rifkin sends students an email filled with current events, information on what’s going on at TCNJ, and congratulations to exceptional students. It’s safe to say that on Sundays, we actually want to check email.  

Sometimes his emails are color-coded, sometimes they tell a story, and they’re always a treat.  

On top of his weekly messages, Rifkin also invites students to lunch in the 1855 Room. Spots fill up very quickly, as he emails us within minutes of his initial invite to say that there is no more room at his table. Talk about the best seat in the house.

Also, every so often, Rifkin brings his dog to campus for students to pet. Need we say more?

3. Hassan

While he is not actually a TCNJ employee, Hassan has become such a legend that he might as well be. He is the unsung hero of the late-night munchies.

Hassan is our very own 2 a.m. pizza delivery man who drives around campus with boxes of personal pizza pies in his little white car. He is such a staple to TCNJ nightlife, that even though the pizza might not be the best, every student has called on him at least once (sober or otherwise).  

To further the point that he is a vital TCNJ character, when rumors of his possible retirement swirled and his car was no longer driving around campus, there was outrage. There was an even an article in The Signal about it. Thankfully, he is back and running.

4. Joey Pinkston

For those of us old enough to remember, let’s take a moment to pay homage to Joey Pinkston. The former C-Store Manager was always suave in his pin-striped button downs and fullfledged suits. For him, the C-Store was not just a place for students to take 20 minutes too long to contemplate their candy options – it was a place to foster friendly relationships with each student. He made us feel like we were having a real shopping experience and not just spending points on overly priced Pop Tarts. Things just haven’t been the same without him.

5. Roscoe the Lion

Last but not least, how can we forget our very own resident lion, Roscoe. Whether you’re passing his statue on your way to class or see him at a football game, Roscoe is in our lives all four years of school. How can we not show him some love?