This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

If you’re looking for another reason to admire Emma Watson, here’s one more thing you can add to your already lengthy list!

This past summer, after Watson graduated from Brown University (congrats!), she was appointed a U.N. Women Goodwill Ambassador. Together with the U.N. Women organization, Watson launched the “HeForShe” campaign with an invigorating feminism speech to the U.N. in its New York Headquarters.

HeForShe, according to its official website, “is a solidarity movement for gender equality that brings together one half of humanity in support of the other of humanity, for the entirety of humanity.” Essentially, Watson invited men and boys to participate in the promotion and advocacy of all women and girl’s social, political, and economic equality.  

Watson discussed what feminism is, what being a feminist means to her and how the term is often misconstrued, leaving the general public with an unattractive view of feminism. Often times, Watson said, feminism is seen as “anti-men.” She declares this to be false, as she supports both genders working together to eliminate the “us v. them” mindset.

The HeForShe campaign has already gained widespread popularity, as numerous stars have “tweeted” and “instagrammed” their support for this new feminism movement. To name a few, Lena Dunham, Harry Styles, Russell Crowe and many more have joined Watson and U.N. Women in their endeavors.

The Harry Potter actress addressed in her speech that she understands if some question why this starlet is speaking on behalf of women everywhere at the U.N. “It’s a good question and trust me I have been asking myself the same thing,” said Watson. “I don’t know if I am qualified to be here. All I know is that I care about this problem. And I want to make it better.”

Clearly Watson’s passion for gender equality shines through any “she’s just an actress” barriers. Even her role as Hermoine Granger advocated for women in any intellectual field. Granger, supposedly the brightest in her class, allowed women to not only declare their intelligence, but share that intelligence as well.

From the silver screen to the U.N. podium, Watson has provided feminism with a “good name.” With such well-known endorsements, the HeForShe campaign will surely be able to accomplish many tangible gender-equality goals.

TCNJ Junior Journalism Major & Double Minor in Computer Science & Politics, Law and Philosophy