Dr. Jean Kirnan: Psychology Professor Who Works with Therapy Dogs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Dr. Jean Kirnan is a professor in the psychology department at The College of New Jersey. She specializes in Industrial and Organizational Psychology but also has many interests outside of TCNJ’s campus. Because of her community involvement, HerCampus decided to interview her about her experiences.  

How many years have you been working as a professor and at TCNJ?

This is my 32nd year at TCNJ.

What made you decide to work with therapy animals?

When my son was in high school, he had a community service requirement, and we often struggled to find convenient but meaningful opportunities.  A friend of mine had just gotten her German Shepherd certified and was doing visitation with her son who had the same requirements.  My son loved his dog, Nellie, and she had a very good temperament.  So, I trained her, got her certified and started visiting senior centers with Nellie and my son. (He was under 18 and wasn’t allowed to do the visits on his own.)

Where did you attend college, and what are your degrees in?

I have a BA in Psychology from Immaculata College (now University) in PA, an MA in Experimental Psychology from Fordham University, Bronx, NY, and a PhD in Psychometrics from Fordham University, Bronx, NY.

How long did the process of certifying your therapy dogs take, and what steps did you have to take to do so?

It’s difficult to estimate because I begin basic obedience training when they are puppies.  My goal is to certify shortly after they turn 1 year old (AAT/AAA programs usually require the dog to be at least 1). I incorporate basic Skinnerian principles of learning (operant condition) to train them. Basically, I break a task down into smaller goals using the concept of successive approximations to the desired behavior. I use treats and food to reward desired behaviors.

How many research studies have you collaborated on, both with and without therapy animals?

I have 10 peer reviewed published articles; 11 conference presentations; 25 test reviews; and several consulting projects – none of which are dog related. In terms of dog-related research: I have presented 2 posters at a national conference, have 2 peer reviewed articles published, and a pending book chapter.  Another article is under review and another book chapter just agreed to.  In my undergraduate research lab, we have 3 new projects underway.

Do you have to have any certifications to work with clients using your therapy dog(s)?

Most facilities require certification and annual confirmation of the dog’s health. My dogs and I are certified as a team under TDI, Therapy Dog International.

What have been your most rewarding experience(s) in helping people through the use of therapy dogs and other animals?

There are so many.  With seniors, it is the joy that you can see on their faces as they pet my dog and recount stories of pets in their lives.  For the reading program, I was most impacted when working with students in the special education class.  Often, their behavior was disruptive and even violent during the day. But I never saw that. Whenever I was in the classroom with my dog, there were never any problems.  The students were polite, cooperative, and eager to read to the dog.  The dog gave them a chance to show what they could be, not what others had grown to expect from them.

What made you decide to major in psychology during college?

I always enjoyed observing people and thinking about why they acted a certain way.  I also had a great course senior year in high school. Back then, we didn’t have AP courses, and this was a course on behavioral science. We had pigeons and ran them through all of Skinner’s reinforcement schedules.

Did you grow up with dogs or other pets since you were younger?

We always had a family pet that was a dog.  It’s difficult for me to imagine a house without a dog.

What kind of clients have you and your therapy dogs worked with?

I started working with seniors in assisted living and also visited a Memory Impaired Unit. Now (for the past 7 years) I have been working in a Tail Waggin’ Tutor program at a local elementary school where children read to dogs.  This helps reduce anxiety associated with reading out loud and provides social support in a friendly, non-judgmental audience – the dog!

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.