Defending The Indefensible: Why I Support Trump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Her Campus TCNJ.

As November approaches, one thing will cross the minds of all Americans: who they are voting for. With about two weeks left until the November 8 election approaches, many Americans have already decided who they will choose to be the next president. While this year’s election has been looked at by many as a joke and candidates made laughable through social media, either Donald J. Trump or Hillary R. Clinton will still become the next leader of our nation. Both candidates have been under fire for mundane things they have said or done; particularly, I believe, Trump more than Hillary. I believe we should be looking at what each candidate has to offer and not their moral qualities. Below are the main reasons why I support Trump.

1. He’s anti-establishment

We all know how wealthy Trump is. Therefore, he isn’t in this for the money; whereas, Republicans and Democrats in the establishment have been corrupt and have been proven to make huge profits off the political system. A fresh perspective is what the country needs. If you’ve ever read WikiLeaks you’d see just how corrupt Clinton is. But it’s hard to see that due to Clinton’s support from the media. WikiLeaks proves how the media spins everything in Clinton’s favor and skews the polls. When Clinton made the comment about the “basket of deplorables,” it was wiped off the trending list on Twitter within minutes. Yet, when Trump makes any negative or “politically incorrect” statement it is dragged through the media for weeks. Let us not forget the countless emails she just “happened” to delete. Don’t believe what I say? Do your own research, and feel free to search Hillary’s emails: https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/                                 

2. He avoids conflict in Syria

Trump doesn’t want military intervention against the Assad regime in Syria. Clinton considers using force in support of the rebels in Syria, which could lead to confrontation with Russia who backs the Assad Regime, who has said they will not back down to U.S. action. Personally, this is a huge issue that affects my decision of who to vote for.

3. He will reduce taxes

It’s common for people to believe that Trump wouldn’t have a care about the financial needs of the people, but on the contrary, he plans on reducing taxes across the board for everyone. With less to pay in taxes, Trump hopes people will spend more to help circulate the economy. He plans on implementing the largest tax cuts since the Reagan administration. 

4. He’s true to himself

It’s no secret that Trump is derogatory to females. There are countless examples of him saying some less-than-polite things about or to women. While this doesn’t mean we should completely excuse the offensive things he’s said, we should separate his inflammatory words from the actions he has planned for this country. He may rub you the wrong way as a person but you have to think about how he would lead America. And at least he is truthful—he says what is on his mind and is unapologetically himself. 

Both candidates are going to slander each other’s names. We’ve seen more attacks on candidates’ character than their policies, which I believe gives voters a hazy outlook. It’s easy to believe what the media dictates to us but perhaps we shouldn’t be so trusting. Trust me, I would love to see a woman president. But I don’t believe Hillary should be president for that reason alone. There are so many powerful and intelligent women in the world who I believe would run a better campaign and make a better first female president. Whatever the outcome, hopefully our nation will endure.

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.