David Brown: The Student Who Does it All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

David Brown is a man who wears many hats.  Some see him as their Community Advisor (CA), while others see him as the president of the Black Student Union. Students may also view him as an Ambassador, a Pride Peer Mentor, or a part of the Homecoming Committee. Regardless of what students view him as, Brown has an ambitious appetite to learn and make a difference on campus and out in the world.  

Brown, 21-year-old senior communications major with a focus in law, transferred from Rider University as a sophomore, and says he found his home at TCNJ. Brown decided to pursue communications because he “wanted to dig further…and really be able to see how interpersonal communication works and how mass communication works when it comes to putting a message out into the world and how people receive it.”

This interest in interactions between people is seen not only in his studies, but also in Brown’s extracurriculars, especially the Ambassador program. David describes being an Ambassador as being “the frontline of communication” for TCNJ to potential incoming students.  His job is to make prospective students see how wonderful the TCNJ experience can be, and what a great education this school has to offer.

Alongside being an Ambassador, David is also a Pride Peer Mentor. He says that, “the Pride Peer Mentoring Program is a mentoring program for underrepresented students here at the college…with the goal of being able to again be an upperclassman and help incoming students with, you know, the transition from highschool to college.” He believes it is a “diamond in the rough” program that is transformative and that creates a unique family aspect to the TCNJ experience, and he has been a part of this program since last year.  

As a student representative in the Homecoming Committee, Brown meets with college professionals and  gets to practice working in a more professional environment. He believes it is interesting to experience Homecoming from the planning side, as opposed to just experiencing the event.

One of David’s proudest and most accomplished achievements is when he became President of the Black Student Union this past summer. To say that David Brown is passionate about this group is an understatement. His goal, alongside with the club’s goal, is to help students just like him spread and help students recognize black culture around TCNJ. He believes that  “this is such an important role that I’m taking on, because not only am I just a voice for myself, but I’m also a voice for other black students on campus.” The future he plans for this group is one that he hopes will make a difference and that he will be able to “look back on as one of his proudest moments.”

Lastly, but certainly not least, David Brown is currently is a CA of Wolfe 8, where he offers the perfect balance of kindness and playfulness.

Why does he do it all? Ambassador, CA, Black Student Union President – because he believes in making the TCNJ campus a better place for all students.