6 Ways to Avoid the Sophomore Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As much as I didn’t want to believe it, the rumors were true – the sophomore slump is real. Maybe we can blame it on the newness of college wearing off or the realization that adulthood isn’t too far away. While responsibilities are growing, motivation is somehow at an all time low. The best way to fight boredom and stay on top of your work is to keep busy and break up your daily routine. With just one semester left, here are some ways for the Class of 2019 to avoid falling further into the slump.

1. Plan a spring break trip

If you find yourself falling victim to the slump, organizing a spring break trip is a great way to snap out of it. Whether it’s planning your Cancun getaway or a day trip to NYC, make sure you have something to look forward to!

2. Rearrange/redecorate your room

Sometimes a change of scenery is all you need to have a renewed sense of focus. If you have an adventurous roommate, try something like bunking your beds. If you’re anything like me and my roommate, a new tapestry is all you need.

3. Join a sorority

One of the most exciting opportunities during second semester at TCNJ is formal recruitment! This is an incredible way to meet new people and ultimately find your home away from home. The deadline to sign up is February 7th: https://tcnjpanhellenic.mycampusdirector2.com/landing/

4. Try something new

Who isn’t guilty of saying something along the lines of “I’ve always wanted to try (blogging, painting, knitting, hiking, etc.) but I don’t have time…” Well what are we waiting for?! Go ahead and sign up for that yoga class you’ve always wanted to get around to – you’ll only regret it if you never try. Making time for something you’re passionate about is one of the best ways for your routine to feel less like a routine.

5. Stay organized

There are few feelings worse than realizing that paper that was due in two weeks is actually due at 11:59. Get yourself an adorable planner and stay organized.

6. Don’t. Skip. Class.

Don’t lean into the soph slump by skipping class. Even if it’s 8 am and you spend the whole time on your laptop, you’ll be still be proud of yourself for showing up.

Victoria is a senior at The College of New Jersey and a features editor for HCTCNJ.  She is majoring in Journalism and Professional Writing, and minoring in Marketing & Communications.   
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.