woman taking pictures near handrail
woman taking pictures near handrail
Tamara Bellis/Unsplash

5 Things I Don’t Understand About Millennial Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Every time you scroll through social media, or have a conversation with friends, acquaintances, classmates, you’re reminded that, as a person of your age and generation, you are supposed to be part of the millennial culture. Yes, the keyword in that statement is “supposed.”

If you don’t love memes, or have snap streaks 100s of days long, know everything there is to know about the latest technology or brunch on avocado toast every weekend, can you really call yourself a millennial? You’d be nothing more than a weirdo stuck in a body too young for your interests and understanding.

Here are a few things that define millennial culture that I just can’t stand.

Memes

Image Source

This next statement just might be one of the most controversial and thoroughly anti-millennial ones anyone could ever make, but I just hate memes. I think they are stupid and droll and do not understand the humor in them. By no means am I denying that memes are humorous, I’m just saying I don’t appreciate that humor. I think memes are pretty apathetic because I think they don’t have any substance to them- they’re just dry and pretty drab attempts at sarcasm.

Snap Streaks

Image Source

What is the point of snapchatting someone if all you are sending them is a blurry picture of your ceiling when you’re in bed because you need the self-care after going to one class that day? I have nothing against Snapchat- I think it’s great when you want the world to see your #ootd, and snap streaks are fine if they actually have something worth looking at, but since they usually only say “streaks,” I say, no thanks.

Avocado toast (or avocado’s in general)

Image Source

First of all, avocados are expensive and so is avocado toast. For college students graduating with at least 50-100 thousand dollars in student loans, indulging in this specialty fruit regularly is probably not the smartest choice. Besides, I don’t like the taste or texture of avocados, or guacamole, there must be many others who don’t like it either. Millennial culture seems to avoid the question of whether it’s like for what it is rather than for being popular.

Dabbing

Image Source

Don’t. Just don’t. I’m sure you could think of a million other moves to do when you’re put on the spot and need to come up with a 5 second dance move. The action of dabbing itself has no connotations, good or bad, but it has been overused and over hyped to the point that it’s really stupid. My main complaint with dabbing is that it is purely jumping on the bandwagon thing.

Trader Joe’s/Whole Foods

Image Source

While eating healthy is a noble goal, and one I strive to adhere to myself, these stores are not necessarily friendly to the college student trying to maintain a clean diet. Similar to my issues with avocados, I think these stores overcharge for the same goods that you could buy elsewhere. People might think that it you don’t shop at either one of these two grocery stores, you don’t care about or don’t try to eat healthy. They’re just the trendiest health conscious grocery stores out there, not the only health conscious ones in the market. Most other grocery stores have their own organic food section, or carryings.

To sum up, those are just some complaints with millennial culture. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that we are a useless generation and all that because, despite my qualms, I’m still one of those millennials after all.

Thumbnail Source

Anandita is a junior at TCNJ, majoring in economics and minoring in English
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.