5 Signs You’re Fascinated by Thunderstorms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Most people hate the rain and find thunderstorms to be a nuisance, but I’m quite the opposite. I love a good thunderstorm for many reasons, and I’m adamant that their beauty is immensely underappreciated. Don’t get me wrong; I’m well aware that thunderstorms can cause a lot of damage, but something about them simply captivates me. Even the fact that thunderstorms exist is amazing to me, and I think my fascination started when I was little. I always used to say that the clouds were having a little party and I never got over that initial interest, so if you’re anything like me, here are five signs that you’re intrigued by thunderstorms.

Image Source: Pexels

1. You sit outside and watch the storm approach.

I find it so relaxing to sit on my patio and watch the sky grow darker and darker. Waiting for a thunderstorm to come is an activity I’ve always enjoyed because the way that the sky changes amazes me. I don’t think there’s anything quite like it.

2. Once it begins raining, you sit by the window to watch the storm begin.

Even though you’re not supposed to stand near windows or doors during a thunderstorm in case lighting strikes, it’s almost impossible not to watch the storm unfold. It’s an incredible experience to observe: the electric pulse of lightning, the roar of the thunder, and the calming sound of the rain.

3. You hope it starts to thunder when you go to sleep.

This feeling might be a little more common, as many people like to fall asleep to the sound of rain pitter-pattering on their windowsill, but I treasure the thunder as well. It may seem unlikely to be able to fall asleep while it’s thundering because it’s so loud, but it soothes me just as much as the rain does, and I fall asleep rather quickly.

4. You keep up to date on the weather channel to see when storms are approaching and to find out the aftermath of particular storms.

I actually like checking my weather app and searching through news stations’ websites to find out what the weather is going to be like in the hopes that a storm is on the horizon. I also enjoy looking at the statistics about how much rain we had and discovering which locations experienced the storm too.

5. You love talking about thunderstorms.

While most people only have negative things to say about thunderstorms, I thoroughly enjoy talking about them when the topic comes up in conversation. While I understand that they can be annoying when it comes to making plans or having an event outside, because we don’t have them all that often, I think we should value them for what they truly are: forces of nature.

Cover Image Source: Pexels

Alyssa is a senior English major at TCNJ who loves to read, write, listen to music, and spend time with her friends, family, and dog. She is currently a Features Editor for HCTCNJ. 
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.