5 Resolutions That Are Good For the Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

We’ve all heard those cliché New Year’s resolutions – get healthy, get organized, etc. – but I’ve compiled a concise list of resolutions that you collegiettes might find even more beneficial. Of course, getting heathy and eating right are good for your body, but here are some proposals that are just plain good for your soul.

1. Listen more. Don’t just hear. Listen for undertones, revelations and lessons that come from the people around you. Everyone has so much to share, you’d be surprised how few are willing to listen.

2. Judge less. We are so quick to judge someone from one story that one person told us on one day – what a way to live. We are essentially closing our minds to meeting people who could enhance our lives in ways we never could have predicted.

3. Stop apologizing so much. As women we are always apologizing for this or that, whether we realize it or not. Of course, if you accidentally ran over a child’s bike with your car, then by all means apologize. But catch yourself apologizing for things that don’t need to be apologized for – like your strengths.

4. Don’t get caught being bored. Boredom is a choice, so why choose it? There’s aways a place that could be visited, a book that could be read or a conversation that could be had. And if you’re not doing it – whatever “it” might be – then plan to do it.

5. Start living. Stop snapping photos of your food and start enjoying it. Stop getting hung up on other people’s successes on Facebook and start working so you can find success of your own. Stop burying your head in technology-fueled virtual worlds and start living out your life in the real world.

I am a Sophomore Journalism major at The College of New Jersey.