This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

So you’re living on your own, and finally get a chance to live away from your parents. Maybe they nag you a lot, maybe they were very strict, or maybe you just care about different things than they do. Whatever the reason, you couldn’t wait to get away from your family and get a little space to be whoever you want to be.

I love my independence too, I love being able to do what I want to, whenever I want. But, once I moved onto campus, I found that I was able to talk to my parents a little more, share with them the things I never did when I lived at home. Even though I know plenty of people who talk to their families every other day, I just talk to them about once a week. These conversations are definitely more productive and I’m able to be more open and communicative with my family about myself now.  Here are some of the reasons I think everyone should remember to call their parents, when they live away from home.

1. Your parents are probably helping you pay for college

Even if you are responsible for your own loans, or have gotten a full scholarship, your parents probably helped you with at least some of your finances. They may have gone dorm shopping with you or send you care packages with food. Whatever they do, they have made some sort of investment in your education, so be nice and keep them updated on your life.

2. When you move out, you are not the only one who has to adjust to new living conditions.

You’ve moved out and have your own space, but your parents are left with an empty room and one less person in their home. If it’s your first semester at college, you’ve had to deal with a lot of adjustments in the past few months, but so have your parents.

3. No one will care about the little things the way they will.

They’ve seen every stage of your life, from your first words, to your high school successes, they’ve already been there for the little things, they don’t want to be shut out of your life just because you don’t live at home anymore. Friends have their own lives to deal with too, but you will always be at the center of attention for your parents.

4. They were your age once too

Your parents all went through similar experiences to what you are going through right now. Even if they don’t share the college experience, they were 18,19,20,21 years old once upon a time. You might not be able to understand that a time existed when they were not just Mom and Dad, but they were young adults just like you. By sharing your experiences, you can help them relive their memories of the time before they had you.

5. They love you

Everyone wants to be a part of their loved ones lives, and it can be hard, especially if you don’t live under the same roof and see them every day. It might get annoying when they treat you as a little kid even though you are approaching/in your twenties, but they’re not going to be able to stop seeing you as their baby. Your parents want the best for you, and they want to make sure you are doing okay, wherever you are, so just call them up every now and then and say hi.

Thumbnail Source

Anandita is a junior at TCNJ, majoring in economics and minoring in English
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.