4 Ways to Live in the Present

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Have you ever started driving, and when you suddenly arrive at your destination it feels like you have been on autopilot the whole time?  This is how it feels when we don’t live in the present.  We live in a world with endless distractions, and it can be hard to be in the moment.  Often times, our minds wander to the past or the future, and we take for granted what’s going on right in front of us.  By living in the present, we truly appreciate the people, places, and things around us.  Here are some simple ways to be more active in your every day life. 

1. Turn off your phone

This seems like the most common distraction that prevents people from living in the moment.  When everyone is within arms reach of their phone, people expect their texts or emails to be answered instantly.  While always being connected with friends and family has advantages, most messages don’t really need our immediate attention.  Constantly responding to texts or emails when you’re out is a huge distraction.  Putting the phone down for a few hours, and focusing on the people who are actually around you is an easy way to be in the moment.       

2. Take a break from social media

In 2017, it seems like nothing is complete without a Snapchat or an Instagram to document what happened.  Hours could be spent scrolling from one timeline to another, when you could have used that time to do something far more productive.  While social media is entertaining, it isn’t nearly as important as what’s actually happening around you.  Instead of reaching for your phone the next time you’re waiting for your coffee or at the dinner table, take a moment to talk to the people you’re with.  The tweets will still be there when you’re done. 

3. Go out of your comfort zone

When you switch up your routine, you get to see the world in a different light.  By getting out of your comfort zone, you suddenly become mindful of all the new things you’re experiencing.  For example, when traveling to new places, your senses are heightened and you are forced to pay attention to everything around you.  It’s important to absorb as much knowledge and experience as possible in the time you’re given.  While a typical day isn’t as exciting as traveling to new places, you can sill bring that sense of adventure and curiosity to your real life.  Breaking up your regular routine allows you to be more present and aware of your actions, as well as the people around you. 

4. Get outdoors

Getting in touch with the natural world around us is a beautiful and relaxing way to enjoy the little things in life.  Taking a walk or even just sitting outside helps you appreciate places that might otherwise be taken for granted.  You may drive past the same park every day on the way to work, but taking time to really notice the beauty in the world around you is what living in the present means. 

Photo Source: Rocket Republic 

Victoria is a senior at The College of New Jersey and a features editor for HCTCNJ.  She is majoring in Journalism and Professional Writing, and minoring in Marketing & Communications.   
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.