freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Things Nobody Told Me About Starting College With a Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Making the leap from high school sweethearts to long-distance college couple is not for the faint of heart. If you’re considering trying to make your high school romance last as a collegiette, here are four things you need to know.

1. College parties aren’t what you expected.

If you’ve always imagined dancing all night with your best girl friends having the quintessential college party experience, you might find the college party scene doesn’t live up to the hype. When you enter college in a newly long-distance relationship, parties might not be as fun as you’d always thought. I’m not saying that having a boyfriend means you can’t have any fun or do whatever you want to do, but your priorities will be a little different than your single friends. While you might be excited to dance the night away with the ladies, they might be more interested in meeting guys and hooking up. Warning: being the girl with a boyfriend can sometimes mean you’re the girl at the party who’s not having as much fun.

2. Dueling schedules can be tough to manage.

Whether you went to the same high school as your boyfriend or not, all high school students have basically the same schedule. You both have school all day, then sports and extra-curriculars after school, then homework at night. Having a similar schedule meant that you both had the same free time and were able to communicate (either in person or via text) at times that were convenient for you both. It can become unbelievably more difficult to find time to talk once you start college. Everyone’s schedules are radically different at school, with classes at all hours of the day and meetings, projects and studying taking up giant blocks of time during the week and weekends. Add to that the fact that your significant other isn’t on the same campus, and it can become really difficult to find even a handful of minutes of shared free time to exchange a few texts.

3. You won’t have the same group of friends.

You will undoubtedly make new friends and form new bonds during your college years – and so will he. Being at different schools means you will likely form separate groups of friends, which can put a strain on your relationship. It takes a lot of effort to get to know your man’s new crew when you barely have time for each other.

4. Distance can make you closer.

For any rising college freshman in mortal fear of the infamous six-week dump, remember this: distance makes the heart grow fonder. It may be the cheesiest cliché out there, but it bears some truth. While some relationships may not be able to handle the pressure that geographical distance can put on a relationship, the ones that do will be better for it. Being apart during a time of major transition is just the kind of challenge that can strengthen a couple’s bond. Young love doesn’t always stand the test of time, but if you can stand the test of distance your relationship will have a better chance of handling all the other tests you may face together in the future.

Image Source: http://beforeyoukillusall.blogspot.com/2013/05/editorial-man-about-town-…