11 Things To Do Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Some students look forward to heading home for the holidays, while others absolutely dread the boredom. If you’re someone like me who can’t stand the 20 questions game (ok more like 100) with your parents about EVERY aspect of your life, then take some time for yourself when you get home after an exhausting and strenuous semester of school. Hang with your best girl pals, and fully treat yourself to a holiday you deserve! Believe it or not, there are some advantages of being home.

1. Sleep in! Finally, all the time in the world to catch up on some quality beauty sleep. Relax, spend an entire day in your bed, who cares no one is judging you.
  2. Open up that New Year’s gym membership. Every year, my resolution is to hit the gym and actually workout for once. There is no better time than to start that commitment while you’re home without the distraction of school work and your roomies.
  3. Binge watch a new TV show on Netflix. Yep. How perfect does that sound. Cuddling up on the couch with a blanket and cup of hot cocoa. Doesn’t get much better than that! While you’re home, it’s a perfect opportunity to watch an entire Netflix series that you haven’t had time for while at school.
  4. HOME.COOKED.MEALS. We all are tired of dining hall food, and for once we get to enjoy something from home. But hurry it’s limited edition until Spring Break so enjoy it while it lasts.
  5. Go ice skating. Who doesn’t love ice skating? Besides, it’s like living back in your middle school days when hanging out at the ice skating rink was a thing. Go with all your girlfriends and act like little kids again.
  6. Visit New York City. What better time to visit the big apple? The Christmas tree, Macy’s window decorations, it’s the best time of year! Bring your significant other for a romantic day in the best city in the world, or all your girlfriends for a day of shopping and fun. See a Broadway show, go to the Rocket’s, there’s endless things to do.
  7. Admire the Christmas lights. Christmas is the coziest time of the year, people are friendly, and everyone seems to be in a better mood around the holidays. Sometimes, going on a late night drive around your neighborhood and looking at the lights can make you feel thankful for the things you have in your life catch a quick break from reality.
  8. Ugly sweat party. My favorite. Nothing like getting dressed up in your ugliest Christmas sweater and having a great night with your best friends!
  9. Play in the snow. It may sound childish, but if we get snow over Christmas break… definitely take FULL advantage of it. When do you get to act like a little kid again? Go sledding, make snow angels, and live out your childhood days.
  10. Personal pampering. Take a day to get your hair done, nails done, and even a massage.
  11. Get a seasonal job. Let’s face it, we are college students and could always use some extra cash. Finding a seasonal or temporary holiday job is a great way to earn money to head back to school with.
  Class of Fall 2017, Journalism and Professional Writing  Cat lover "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." -Audrey Hepburn
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.