10 Nearby Places to Go This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Ah, autumn. The magical time when our imaginations run wild with dreams of plucking ripe-red apples from picture-perfect trees, wearing soft sweaters and brand new riding boots. The wonderful time when our Instagrams explode with images of VSCO edited leaves and photo shoots in pumpkin patches. The hypnotic time where at just the right time, in just the right place, you can smell the sweet scent of pumpkin spice lattes carried by a brisk, seasonal breeze. If you asked me, fall is a close contender to its prima donna predecessor, summer.

But of course, as all good things do, if you don’t take advantage of the fall season- it will fade, almost as fast as its Technicolor sunsets. So, to make the most of your valuable time, I’ve come up with a short, sweet, pumpkin spice list of 10 things to do around The College of New Jersey before it becomes a tundra of inescapable ice.

1. Midtown Village Fall Festival October 4th – 44 minutes

If you’re feeling ambitious and want to get to Philly once this fall, time your visit to fall during this festival that is scheduled for October 4th. There will be music, vendors, crafts and tons of food.

2. New Hope, Pennsylvania – 23 minutes

New Hope is beautiful in the fall and chock full of eateries and coffee shops where you can enjoy a comforting lunch while you window shop.

3. Terhune Orchards – 12 minutes

Take a trip to Terhune Orchards in Princeton for apple picking, pumpkin picking and pie picking. They have their own market with fresh produce and a bounty of apples. And in case your eyes were bigger than your desire to make 30 pies, they sell those too, and they’re pretty damn delicious.

4. Bear Mountain  1 hour 56 minutes

Maybe Bear Mountain is a little too far and maybe I’m partial to North Jersey, but if you’re willing to make the effort, the fall foliage and countless hiking trails make Bear Mountain worth the trek.

5. Trenton Farmer’s Market 7 minutes

A quick seven minutes from campus, The Trenton Farmer’s Market is open Wednesdays through Sundays. Take advantage of it during the fall when the market overflows with a cornucopia of autumn produce.

6. Bike Mercer County Park Commission – 17 minutes

Mercer County Park is close enough and large enough to make it the perfect getaway for a long bike ride. With the right timing, you can hit peak fall foliage that will make you insta-famous overnight. Mercer County Park is not just for bikers. Feel free to walk, run, fish, picnic, play sports and wander around the park.

7. Princeton – 16 minutes

Princeton just never gets old—Love it fall, winter, spring and summer. Wander down Nassau Street and through the nooks and crannies to find shopping and a cup of coffee beyond your typical Starbucks. Use the trip as an excuse to channel your innermost J.Crew model, without feeling like an eyesore.

8. Hopewell Valley Vineyards – 11 minutes

If you have reached the 21st birthday rite of passage, take a trip to Hopewell Valley Vineyards for a wine tasting and walk around the farm.

9. Fright Fest at Six Flags Great Adventure – 33 minutes

Drive only 30 minutes from campus to experience Six Flags’ Fright Fest occurring every Friday, Saturday and Sunday of October until November 2nd.

10. Eastern State Penitentiary – Terror Behind the Walls  42 minutes

Tell me how this one is, because I’m perfectly content with speculating from a safe distance. The haunted attraction takes place in the abandoned prison most weeknights until November 2nd. The prison is believed to be truly haunted. Take what you will from that, but the experience will guarantee you a thrill regardless.