Tips for English Courses in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

While these tips do apply to any course with a reading component, it is targeted towards college students in English courses. As an English major, I’ve taken plenty of these classes, and I wanted to share the best ways I’ve handeled the stress caused by enormous loads of reading.

Stay ahead of the reading

I know this is hard. I know that you have other courses, and that English or reading may not be your thing, but listen. The load will be a lot easier on you if you split the huge chunk of pages into smaller sections that you read every day. If you do this, you’ll remember the information easier because it’s something that you read everyday instead of when you have to the day before it’s due.

Stay focused when you’re reading

If you’re reading while painting you nails, you aren’t focused. If you aren’t focused, you aren’t retaining any information. Yeah, you’re going through the motions, but that’s all you’re doing. It feels good multi-tasking, but one of those things is being half-assed, and you better hope its your nails (ouch, I know… I had to be harsh…).

Read again

Yeah, I said it. Read again. You definitely missed details. Don’t try to deny it. Did you even notice that Bella called Edward Spider-Monkey that first time around? Probably not because you were fangirling. But that happened. And that word should still be crossed out of the english language. Regardless, read your textbooks and novels AGAIN.

Participate in discussion in class

The most effective way of learning is to teach the information you’re being told. By trying to explain the subject to another person or a group of peers, you’re repeating the information mentally and verbally, which is just learning x 2. Yay. Education.

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.