Jersey Boys: From New Jersey, to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, to Rudder Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

From Feb. 22-26, Rudder Theatre and OPAS hosted Jersey Boys, a behind-the-scenes Broadway and Tony Award-winning musical about Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons during the 1960s-1970s. The musical covers the true story of how four kids became a legendary pop group writing their own songs and eventually selling 175 million records worldwide. Jersey Boys features songs like “Sherry,” “Big Girls Don’t Cry,” “Rag Doll,” “Oh What a Night” and “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You.”

The musical follows the timeline of how Frankie Valli, Bob Gaudio, Tommy DeVito, and Nick Massi (respectively played by Aaron De Jesus, Cory Jeacoma, Matthew Dailey, and Keith Hines at the College Station Feb. 22 show) came to be The Four Seasons. Major events, successes and failures included, in each of their lives together and apart are covered. The show puts together brilliant spectacle using music, lighting, costumes, and sets. There is no shortage of a “wow” factor.

DeVito takes young Valli under his wing, teaching him the ways of Jersey while also getting into trouble with the law. They try to form a band but fail due to the fact that they cannot identify themselves with a “sound” or a name. Finally, after a long course of events, the final four members are decided upon. Valli, Gaudio, DeVito, and Massi embark on a journey that leads them to massive success until they break apart as a group. The musical ends on a high-note when the group is honored by being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and reuniting one last time.

Two-time Tony Award winning director Des McAnuff makes Jersey Boys more than a biographical musical. Along with the help of the book’s authors, Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice, Composer Bob Gaudio, Lyricist Bob Crewe, and Choreographer Sergio Trujillo, McAnuff makes Jersey Boys a musical worth sitting through for 2.5 hours. The final product of their effort makes it a moving show that seeks to share and honor the musical achievements of The Four Seasons.

While the College Station tour dates have come to a close, you can still find tickets for the remaining shows here.

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.