etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Spring Break on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

It’s spraaaaang break time! Getting out of town is a much needed break from spring semester, but taking a big trip on a college budget is a STRUGGLE. As a two-time spring break planner, I have learned a lot. If you follow at least one of the steps below, I guarantee you’ll have an unforgettable spring break without breaking the bank.

1. Do. Your. Research.

You would be surprised at how much researching can save you money. When planning your trip, research every detail to see if you overspending, or could get a better deal elsewhere. For example, I had planned on going to Destin this spring break, but I was having trouble finding a place to stay with my group of 19 to 21 year olds. (Most places require you to be at least 25). However, 5 seconds on Google showed that Panama City Beach was more friendly to college students, and now, I’m staying in a hotel on the beach for $89 a night.

2. Road trip!

When picking your Spring Break destination, transportation is one of things you must take into consideration. While flying gives you more options, it comes at a cost. Tip #1: Road Trip! If you dread driving for extended periods of time, then I have the solution. Think of your drive as another vacation within itself. Map out your route and research a few of the places you’ll pass through on the way. Doing this will not only give you something to look forward to, but the ride will seem a lot shorter than it would driving the whole way and occasionally stopping at a gas station.

3. Don’t be afraid to slum it…at least a little.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a boujee hotel as much as the next person, but when you’re spring breaking on a pack of Ramen-a-day budget, sacrifice is key. When picking your hotel, don’t be afraid to stray from the more well-known franchises. Majority of the time local hotels are cheaper, and they usually allow 18 year olds to book.

4. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

When traveling to new places, eating at local joints and avoiding franchises is very important to me. Trying new things that you can’t find anywhere else is exciting and ensures that you fully experience your destination. But, as I mentioned earlier, sacrifices must be made. Find a hotel that serves continental breakfast! You can’t go wrong with cereal and Texas shaped waffles…you just can’t. Buy things to make your lunch! This can save a ton of money when compared to the cost of easting out. A grocery bill split a few ways doesn’t cost nearly as much. Finally, splurge on dinner. You can’t cut out hitting local joints all together, but limiting how many times you go to them can save you a lot of money. Don’t worry, you’ll still be eating good.

5. FRIENDS!

A group can make all the difference when budgeting your entire trip, and many trip costs can be split between the whole group. Costs such as gas, hotel, and food can be split and make things significantly cheaper for everyone! Also, a group makes everything interesting, and they can make looking back on spring break even better!

Browser image: source

Kelly Long is a Communications major at Texas A&M University. In her free time, Kelly likes to sleep, eat sushi, and dominate at Just Dance. She really enjoys writing, and wants to share her thoughts and ideas with the world.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.