How To Deal With Bridezilla

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

When I was a little girl, I always tried to imagine how my future wedding would be like. I’d play dress up, pretending I was having the perfect fairytale wedding, married to the man of my dreams, Ruben Lopez. Well, that often changed in the course of time. My wedding had to top off everyone else’s. It was to be in a country barn with an outdoor dance floor, just like how my grandparents met. Did I mention it had to be in Spain? We’d have the best DJ and a surprise appearance from a mariachi band to finish the night.

Since third grade, my best friend and I would imagine the different possibilities of how our wedding day could go, from last minute changes to the perfect first dance. At first, it’s all fun and games until one of you is months away from tying the knot. I thought I’d seen the worst in her, and I mean the morning-hair-mess-last-night’s-makeup-smeared-and-non-matching-pajamas worst. I was wrong. Oh boy was I wrong! There is just something about wedding planning that turns a girl green when one thing does not meet her expectations.

Here are 3 tips I learned on how to deal with bridezilla:

1. Go with the flow

She is right, you are wrong. If she wants to change the color of the flowers for the millionth time, you better love the idea for the millionth time. If she wants you to wear an ugly bridesmaid dress with puffy shoulders and a giant flower on the front, you wear it without a question. Wait until she’s calm to address the situation. In the meantime, say yes to everything and negotiate later. It’s her wedding; it’s her special day, just do what she says even if she gets on your last existing nerve.

2. Teamwork

No one will be able to stand her for five minutes while she freaks out questioning if she’s making the right choice, so you take turns. Help her relieve the stress. There will be about five of you. One of you can console her, the other can bring the ice cream and movies while the others find alcohol—for you, and well for her too but mostly for you guys. You’ll need the temporary courage to keep sane.

3.  Take time for yourself

With bridezilla nagging in one ear and the other, make sure you find a balance. Always remember that you have a life outside the wedding shenanigans. Treat yourself to a bubble bath and a glass of wine, you sure know you deserve it.

Remember this situation is only temporary and that grin will turn into the smile once everything happens as planned. Just keep in mind that she will have to go through this when it’s your turn, what goes around comes around.

Ashley Salas is an English major at Texas A&M University. When Ashley isn't writing, she spends her time creating original photography works and petting every dog she sees on the street. #dangerouswoman  She hopes to inspire people with her words and be the voice of many who are muted.