5 Tragically Underrated Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Coconut Flavored Ice Cream

We all know the fan favorites: vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. Little did we know that there is another less classic flavor that can also serve as a tasty treat. And nope, I’m not talking about cookies and cream… I’m referring to coconut flavored ice cream.

Although “coconut flavored” is probably not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of ice cream, the coconut flavor has one of the most refreshing tastes and textures out there. Whether it be from Turkey Hill Dairy or Ben & Jerry’s, this ice cream is worth a try. Pair it with chocolate or eat it in its stand-alone form. Either way, you’re in for a delicious dessert.

Plantain Chips

Plantains are a lesser known member of the banana family, but that doesn’t stop retail stores from selling them deliciously dried. They have less sugar than bananas, which makes plantains – and ultimately plantain chips – less sweet. But these chips make up for it by being saltier and by serving as an alternative to your regular potato chips. They are also lower in sodium and higher in fiber than regular chips.

That being said, fried chips are still fried chips, so you’ll want to indulge in them with modification. And if you’re more of a sweet tooth, I recommend trying banana chips first. Otherwise, plantain chips make for a savory snack and belong on the next grocery list you make.

Pretzel Pieces

These guys are often overshadowed by “real pretzels”, but that doesn’t make them any less worthy. In fact, pretzel pieces often have a stronger and wider variety of flavors than regular pretzels. Take for instance the Honey Mustard & Onion and Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper flavors. Those aren’t even singular flavors – they’re more like two flavors in one.

To be fair, “pretzel pieces” do sound a bit boring. But if you’re about that tangy food life, they’re the perfect snack for you. They satisfy your salt cravings without being (too) unhealthy, and you’re guaranteed a satisfying crunch while you’re at it.

Saltine Crackers

For better or for worse, this food item has become a part of my daily intake. Many would call it plain, but I argue that its plainness is what makes the saltine cracker so appealing. These crackers serve as texture contrast to anything you pair them with, whether that be shredded cheese or chicken noodle soup. They are basically flavorless, so you never have to worry about them clashing with the rest of your meal.

Although most people pair saltine crackers with other foods, I oftentimes eat them on their own as a light snack. They do have sodium and empty carbs, but they’re definitely healthier than other preserved snacks. Not to mention that it’s almost impossible to get tired of something that tastes like nothing but still tastes great at the same time.

Bread & Butter

Last but not least is the classic bread and butter recipe. This one is also overlooked for its simplicity, but it’s life-changing nonetheless. I’m not even going to write a spiel for this one because it’s bread and butter. Just eat it. Seriously.

Grace Lu

TAMU '20

Grace is an International Studies major at Texas A&M University. Her hobbies include cooking low-quality food and pretending she works out.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.