You Got Lucky, Now Make it Happen!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Have you always had a vision of starting your own company? Do you dream of finding a cure for disease? Does your mind run rampant with ideas you long to share with the world? Start! Inspire others. Find the solution. Build your empire! We were lucky enough to be given the chance to fulfill our dreams, now it’s time to make it happen.

We are so privileged. Many people do not take into account the enormous advantage citizens of economically healthy societies have, considering our ability to make things happen at the flick of a wrist. Smart phones, high-speed Internet, touch screens, tablets, and more! The world is at our fingertips, quite literally, all of its knowledge and secrets in the palm of our hand. The fact that you’re reading this right now shows that you’re in good enough standing to enjoy a computer, or some kind of mass media outlet. You’re lucky.

Many would jump at the chance to own a computer, let alone live in a thriving nation. The abundance of opportunities available to us is outstanding. Internships and job openings are everywhere. We collegiettes have the rare and fleeting advantage of being labeled as “cute”, ambitious future leaders who are currently finding our way through the dark. Prospective mentors are out there, ready, willing, and waiting to help us be the best we can be.

We have the equipment, we have the drive, and we have the opportunity. What’s left? The action.

Ain’t No Rest for the Ambitious

Sleep is a beautiful thing. While a healthy REM cycle is important, there’s a difference between slumber-lust and laziness. Get up off o’ that thing and SHAKE IT. …or just get out of the house. Go, create, do, build, connect, live! There are plenty of people with your brains, beauty, and GPA, but how many have drive? Your motivation will set you apart from the crowd!

Get Ready, Get Set, Go!

Punctuality is key. Before meeting with a prospective employer for an interview, allot yourself plenty of prep time, have an outfit (and a back-up…or two…) picked out beforehand, and know that your hair may be doing that weird cowlick-y thing, so leave ten minutes to cushion your coiffing. As they say in showbiz, if you’re early, you’re on time; if you’re on time, you’re late; and if you’re late, you’re fired. Be there or be square!

blogspot.org/veronica4

Attitude Check

It is fantastic if you were third in your class of 567 and won first place at the regional public speaking competition your junior year, but don’t rest on your laurels. Every once in a while, we need to reevaluate how our history of success has affected our demeanors. In other words, drop the ‘tude. A dazzling resume is important but won’t matter if it’s been lacking new additions since 2012. Keep up the good work and constantly remind people why you’re the best by what you DO, not what you say.

Ask and You Shall Receive

It’s an oldie, but a goodie for a reason. That big ad exec you’re intimidated by? They were you once, and they understand what it’s like to be in your shoes. Better yet, they WANT to help you! They most likely got to where they are today because somebody lent them a helping hand up the ladder of success. They want to return the favor and keep the good karma flowing. Whatever it is, just ask. Even if you’re unsure of whether you’re asking too much, no one likes a person dancing around the question. To be blunt, spit it out – as eloquently as possible, of course.

Perks of Being a Wallflower Do Not Include Explosive Success

While the strong, silent type may seem mysterious and aloof, they probably didn’t enter the situation by being invisible. I’ll bet you anything; they got their foot in the door after knocking and ringing a few times. If you want to barge down that door to opportunity, stop your shyness from overpowering your inner power. Don’t get me wrong; a thoughtful, inward individual can surely be an asset to any company, but extraverts have more fun. Surprise yourself! You’re more outgoing than you think.

quickmeme.com

Seize the Day

Now is the time to seize the day! da da duh dee da doo duh da! (Anyone see Newsies?) You don’t have to be a theatre devotee to embrace this reference. Take every day as it comes. There’s no time like the present, because each day’s a gift! And there are no refunds, so enjoy each one while it’s here. Wake up, look in the mirror, say “Heck yeah!”, give a wink, and carry on, proud to walk the walk and talk the talk just the way you do!

Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO