From Sound to Stage, Andrew Tongue is So Very Stoked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.
Andrew Tongue, a freshman sound recording technologies major, is donning the iconic trench coat and angsty disposition of JD in the cult classic ’80s film’s musical counterpart, Heathers the Musical.

You play JD in FYP’s production of Heathers the Musical. What is your character like?
He is damaged. He is the epitome of a troubled teen – sort of. He is angst and hate emphasized to the point of insanity. However, while twisted; he has arguably pure intentions. JD wants the world to be pure so that people can’t be hurt by the people who hurt others just to hurt others. The world itself is wrong to JD, and it needs to be fixed. Unfortunately, because of his past, the only way he knows how to cleanse is to remove and make a statement. 

How has FYP impacted your experience at Syracuse?
FYP has definitely been the defining experience for my freshman year at SU. It is such a community and such a fantastic example of the diversity on campus. Everyone in FYP is so unique, yet we come together to become one family. It’s given me more confidence in being myself, and it’s helped me find some of my best friends on campus. It really has been an incredible experience. 

What are some rituals you do to prepare for a role, especially one as twisted as JD?
Singing in the shower never hurts. The thing about JD is that he has a slow progression throughout the show from super smooth cool guy to really crazy serial killer guy. So before each scene, I sort of have to turn the dial one notch crazier and one notch less-cool. However, there is a dark backstory to JD, which is the primary thing I think of before going on stage. Besides that, the other thing I have to do is realize he’s just a kid. We all had an angsty high school phase, and its super fun to relive it. 

Why should people see Heathers?
This show is a once in a life time opportunity. The music and writing are incredible. The topics are intense but relatable, daring yet comical. But more importantly, the team behind it is phenomenal. I have never seen a more talented group of individuals. The choreo team took the dancing in this show beyond the original Off-Broadway cast’s. The music team really worked out kinks and made it a smooth and versatile experience, while being incredibly challenging. The acting team is inspirational and has a vision but gives us enough freedom to make these characters come alive. And just the cast itself is beyond perfection. The casting is scary on point and true to the musical itself. There are countless people in the pit and crew and behind the scenes that have been working so hard to make this the best experience possible – and they’ve done an absolutely AMAZING job. People should come see Heathers because it is simply two and a half hours of really solid entertainment – with twists. 

What is a moment you look forward to in the show?
“Meant to Be Yours” is my favorite moment in the show because I get to be super duper crazy out of absolutely nowhere. It was personally a moment that I couldn’t do at first because I was very uncomfortable with acting when I started this process, and it, to me, shows my progress as a person throughout my FYP experience. 

Are there any similarities you share with your character?
We both like flannels and jeans. Unfortunately, I can relate to his teenage angst, and it is a place I love to go back to because in retrospect it just seems so silly. 

Favorite Musical Artist:
Right now I really like Panic at the Disco’s new album because [Brendon Urie] recorded every instrument himself, which is something I really respect.

Favorite Line in the Show:
“I didn’t catch your name.”
“I didn’t throw it.”

Something You Couldn’t Live Without: 
GABRIELLE HUGHES …And, also, iced coffee.

If you could be in a clique with any three people or characters in history, who would they be?
Gabrielle Hughes. OR Alexander Hamilton so I could rap him all the words to the Hamilton soundtrack and confuse him a lot. Zack and Cody because they always have fun, and I want a theme song. And Paul Mancano because he dared me to do this.

Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO