A Sit Down with Vegan Guru and SU Student Elizabeth Gonzales

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Who said you can’t be an amateur chef in the comfort of your dorm? Elizabeth Gonzales from the blog Enough Elizabeth proves you can!

Hometown: Manhattan, New York

Major: Television, Radio & Film

Blog: Enough Elizabeth

HC: Why did you decide to start your blog? 

EG: I’ve always thought starting a blog would be a blast and a half. When I was about seven months into recovery from an eating disorder I began feeling incredibly inspired and obligated to write about two of my biggest passions- food and self-love … so that’s what I did! Every time I post on Enough Elizabeth, I hope to share a little bit of goodness with readers. Sometimes I work towards that goal by writing about the paramount importance of accepting and loving every single thing that makes you, you; sometimes I do it by sharing yummy recipes!

HC: When did you become a vegan?

EG: I became vegan two and a half years ago! Best decision yet. 

HC: How do you come up with the recipes? 

EG: Reading cookbooks (vegan or not), checking out food blogs, and absorbing the food cultures of other countries when I travel are major sources of inspiration. I also have a huge sweet tooth so when I see an amazing non-vegan dessert, veganizing it is an absolute must.

HC: Do you have any tips for staying healthy in college? 

EG: I really like to stress the importance of finding a good balance for you! Obviously, walking away with the entire tray of cookies is probably not a good idea, but I think that restricting yourself from having one or two can do more harm than good. Commit to figuring out what a balanced diet means for you; eat your greens (Mama will be proud), get your protein (for me, this usually means beans, tofu, or vegan chick’n when it’s there), embrace all the fresh fruit available, and drink lots of water. Make an effort to get some regular exercise. Put together a bomb playlist, throw on some cute workout clothes, and go get ‘em! Most importantly, be patient. If you have a goal for your mind and body, take time to learn about how you can physically reach and maintain it. I promise you, it’s not with a juice cleanse or a 1,200 calorie diet.

HC: What do you like to do around ‘Cuse?

EG: I love visiting the quaint surrounding towns, going on runs, and spending time with my friends!

HC: Do you have any hidden talents? 

EG: I’m incredibly good at jaywalking without getting hit … does that count?

Check out Elizabeth’s blog for healthy, yummy vegan dishes and recipes!

I'm Ana Lua. I'm currently a Marketing Management major at Whitman looking into transfering to Acting in VPA. I'm originally from Boston, but I've been moving around the world throughout my entire life to places like Brazil, China and Portugal. I love to travel and all things artsy and cute! I also like to write music and have a youtube beauty channel.