The Race to the Alter: Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

It seems like yesterday we found out that Ryan Reynolds and Scarlett Johansson were no more— devastating news mostly because they were one of the most attractive couples to ever exist. Since their divorce not even a year ago, Ryan has rebounded rather quickly. Scarlett has talked about the pain of the divorce and her struggle to move on, but it seems Ryan is happy as can be. But will it last?

Blake and Ryan met on the set of Green Lantern– apparently the flop of a movie was a strong enough bonding experience to lead to cuddling offscreen. At first, it just seemed like Blake was a topnotch rebound. She’s blonde, gorgeous, crushed on by many. Things quickly escalated— the two have supposedly been dating since October.

They went from a sweet couple that everyone doubted would last to roomies in just six months. The couple bought a house for over $2 million in Bedford, NY. At this point, most of us thought, they’re serious but this could still lead to a break up. Ryan was newly back on the market. Would he really want to dive headfirst into another marriage that soon after his divorce? Apparently!

The two created quite the stir with their top secret wedding ceremony on Sept. 9th near Charleston, South Carolina. No cell phones were allowed, and non-disclosure agreements were signed. Yet a few days after the wedding, Blake was seen showing off her ring to the world. It seems the couple really wanted their special day to be intimate and private. They didn’t even sign their marriage license until Sept. 13th to further avoid any suspicion, officially becoming Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds a day later.

The two had beautiful wedding, complete with Florence Welch singing, a children’s choir singing, and lovely décor. It sounds like perfection. But will their marriage be? The two haven’t been together a full year yet, but all of their interviews about their relationship are full of smiles and the promise of happily ever after. With Hollywood, one just never knows.

Will Arnett and Amy Poehler always laughed together and seemed to have the perfect marriage, yet the two recently announced their divorce. Ryan has been married and engaged before — do we all remember him and Alanis Morissette, the Canadian match made in heaven that lasted four years — while Blake has also had other serious relationships, including Gossip Girl costar Penn Badgley whom she dated for almost three years. So color me a bit skeptical on whether or not this marriage will last, since it seems to be the shortest relationship for Ryan and Blake.

Maybe they are meant to be. Perhaps we can cross one potential Hollywood break up off the list. In the meantime, we’ll just enjoy pictures of the happy couple and have to keep our eyes peeled for any signs of their love heading south. As long as they last longer than Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries, we’ll call their heading down the aisle a good decision.

I'm a senior art history and magazine journalism major. I'm a junky for pop culture, watch way too much TV, and love to blog about it all.