The Question on Everyone’s Mind… and Nose

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

The reason the walkway in front of Hall of Languages smells like a swamp is not the aftermath of overdrinking or an owner neglecting to clean up after his pup, but a tree called the Ginkgro Biloba. And it reeks.

What is it and why does it smell?

According to SFGate-Home Guide, “The female trees produce fruit in late autumn. These fruits stink only when left on the ground to rot. The rotting fruit emits an odor that smells similar to vomit. The odorous fruit releases butyric acid, which also gives rancid butter its horrible smell.”

So, what can we do to get rid of this disgusting odor?

The site also states that, “Ginkgo trees are virtually pest and disease free. They tolerate heat, air pollution, acidic soils, and alkaline soils as well as being resistant to oak root fungus.”

The only advice the site offers is: “you can help reduce the odor by cleaning up the fallen fruit before it begins to rot.”    

So, basically, we are stuck with this stinky sidewalk until winter hits. Sorry to break it to you, but either grab a rake, hold your nose, or take a different route because these stinky trees are here to stay.

(Check out the link for more facts about these stinky trees http://homeguides.sfgate.com/ginkgo-tree-berries-stink-56020.html )

Senior at Syracuse University | Tirelessly curious | Passionate about food & travel | In constant search of the silver lining