Program Spotlight: EEE at SU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.
The entrepreneurship & emerging enterprises program at Syracuse University is one of the best in the nation – ranked fourth in the nation according to Entrepreneur.com. But did you know that the EEE program at the Whitman School of Management does more than just teach students how to be entrepreneurs? It offers so many resources, allowing students to start their own businesses, intern with local entrepreneurs, host conferences bringing in famous entrepeneurs like Bobbi Brown, and even helping war veterans and local residents start their own businesses through various programs!

For example, did you know that Funk’n Waffles and Brand-Yourself.com were both started through the EEE at SU program? And if you’ve bought a Rylaxer, it was started by Ryan Dickerson ’11 BS. These businesses were all started through the Couri Hatchery,  the student-centered, low-cost business incubator at SU. Anybody from any SU school and any major can go in and apply to start your own business – but do your research and be 100% sure that it’s what you want to do first. If you’ve heard any of the Whitman seniors complaining about EEE 457 (and if you’re friends with me, you probably have), then you know starting your own business is extremely tough, and you have to work hard and be passionate about it in order to succeed.

The EEE at SU program is also the home to the Falcone Center for Entrepreneurship, which hosts several programs to foster the spirit of entrepreneurship throughout the city of Syracuse. It’s home to the South Side Innovation Center, the Entrepreneurs Bootcamp, the Entrepreneurs Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities, the Syracuse Test Kitchen and the WISE Conference.  Bootcamp is great for budding entreprenuers who have great ideas, but don’t know where to start, and need advice from already established and successful entrepreneurs. The Test Kitchen is where the Ms. Echols Caramel Corn that we see at the Dome was created.

Most people don’t know that these opportunities are available for them – but they’re here for the taking! So if anybody’s thinking about adding a major or a minor, definitely check out the EEE program at SU. You’ll learn so much and it’s excellent in expanding your views – you can see how businesses work from the start, and why they work or flop!

Michelle Wong is a senior public relations and entrepreneurship dual major at Syracuse University. At SU, she's a member of the student PR firm, Hill Communications, a contributing writer at A-Line Magazine, an ambassador to both her schools (business and communications), and is often flitting around, as busy as a bee. She went abroad to London in the Fall of 2010, and has been wanting to move there ever since. In her free time, Michelle watches way too much television, and can probably carry on a conversation about any primetime television show aired since 1990. Her favorites that are currently airing include: New Girl, Awkward., Criminal Minds, Prime Suspect, The Mentalist, The X-Factor (US & UK), Law & Order: SVU, Free Agents, Revenge, Breaking Bad, Warehouse 13, Eureka, Downtown Abbey, The Hour, and about 20 other shows. If you ever need a recommendation for a show, you can contact her anytime. She's also ridiculously excited about Smash, Awake, Scandal, and tons of other yet-to-be-aired shows. Michelle is also addicted to Starbucks, greek yoghurt and fruit, Sarah Dessen and Sophia Kinsella novels, and Twinings Tea.