The Perfect New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

At the end of every year, people conjure up a vow on how they are going to make next year different, better. Typically, these resolutions cause an influx of gym memberships that will inevitably be put aside after the novelty of January wears off. That being said, as 2017 approaches, I urge you to approach your New Year’s resolution with a new mindset, a mindset that gives you the opportunity to plan a way to continuously better yourself throughout the next year. The first step to forming a resolution is simultaneously the hardest step, reflecting on your experience throughout the last year. Whatever your goal for the next year is, whether it is a big goal landing your dream summer internship or a simpler goal like trying to be more outgoing, reflection will help inspire you to become the best version of you.

Additionally, you should try to be realistic with the goals you are setting. This does not mean you should limit yourself, still set your goals high, and push yourself, but set goals that are reasonable. Putting excessive pressure on yourself, will not only compromise your mental health, but also create a situation where you are more likely to give up on your resolution. If a woman sets out to lose 30 lbs in a month, versus 30 lbs in a year, she is more likely to feel defeated and quit her resolution. Setting small goals over a period of time is not only more realistic, but will help boost your self-esteem as you achieve the milestones as well.

Finally, remember that your resolution is personalized to you. Whatever you choose as your resolution, you are choosing it because it is what is best for you. Everyone will have different resolutions, and no resolution is “better” than another because not everyone needs or desires the same change. Just because your best friend has vowed to finish her first marathon by the end of the semester does not mean that you have to feel compelled to do it as well, and it does not mean that you need to feel any lesser if you do not want to. Even a resolution as simple as making an effort to be kinder to strangers is just as important as a resolution to land your dream job. The most important part of a resolution is to make progress and better yourself, in whatever individualized form that takes.

My name is Rachel Saunders. I'm a sophomore at Syracuse University who enjoys binge-watching Netflix while eating grilled cheese and telling bad knock-knock jokes.
Lauren Dana

Syracuse '18

Lauren Dana is a juinor Magazine Journalism major at Syracuse University and the Editor-in-Chief of HC 'Cuse! She is a TV-addict, pop culture fanatic and manicure enthusiast who enjoys spending time with family, friends, shopping, writing, and buying wayyyy too much makeup