Morning to Night Guide for a Love-ly Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

No matter who you’re spending it with, Valentine’s Day should be sweet from start to finish. Check out our tips for feeling the love this year. 

Wake up and smell the roses – literally. Not every girl is lucky enough to have her very own prince charming. And even if you are, the lines at the florist on Westcott will be longer than the ones at Disney World. But if you can, aim to pick up a bouquet the night before the big day – researchers at Harvard University found that after waking up to fresh-cut flowers, people reported feeling happier and more energetic throughout the day.

Rock some red. What better time to bring out the bold than V-Day itself? Accent your outfit with a maroon clutch, ruby-red nails, or a glam lip à la Gracie Gold (we know you’re just as obsessed). Also, try getting your guy in on it – studies show that seeing men in such a powerful color can turn women on.

Do something sweet for someone special. Leave your roomie a card and some candy, give your grandparents a call, or bake a batch of cookies for the people on your floor. Research has repeatedly shown that simple acts of kindness are mood boosters. And isn’t Valentine’s Day all about the sweetness, anyway?

Buy some (dark) chocolate. It’s good for you – we swear! One study found that when people were tempted with pizza after eating either dark or milk chocolate, the dark chocolate eaters ate 15 percent less of the pizza. So don’t feel bad for pampering yourself – today was totally meant for complete indulgence.

Get to the gym with your man. Studies suggest that even getting a whiff of your lover’s sweat could get you feeling more aroused. So hit the gym together – and then possibly the shower – to get in the mood for a hot evening.

Pre-plan dinner. Whether you’re spending the night with your girls or making it a date, we suggest staying in and whipping something up at home. Type in your favorite foods on Pinterest to find a recipe and squeeze in some bonding time – it’s much less stressful than the wait at Pastabilities. 

Sip red wine. Need something to drink with your homemade dinner? Opt for red wine – one study found that women who regularly drink it have higher sex drives than those who don’t. 

Valentine’s Day isn’t just for couples, and no matter what your relationship status is or isn’t (or kind-of is, or kind-of isn’t), you deserve to have a great day. So buy some chocolate, drink some wine, and get ready for what this year’s special day has in store – you never know what could happen.  

Juliana LaBianca is a magazine journalism major at Syracuse University.