This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Make something of yourself and live your dream; two lessons we can take away from any athlete. But what sets apart an outstanding athlete from the ordinary lies in Syracuse’s Safety, Jeremi Wilkes. If you know him, you know that he is friendly, funny, and laid back. But he’s also hard working, passionate and very ambitious. There is no such thing as a no-win situation in his eyes and he’s willing to go to bat for all his goals. With all he has to offer, I’m certain we should expect great things from him after he leaves. So without further adieu, Jeremi Wilkes.

How long have you been playing football?

I mean I didn’t actually put the pads on until I was 9. But I’ve been playing backyard football since I was 4 or 5, so it’s been something I’ve been doing and something I’ve always wanted to do. The first time I played for a team was back when I was 9. I played for the Packers (a little league team) , a little team down in Tampa and it’s so ironic because ever since I was 4, my favorite team was always the Packers (the NFL team). I would always watch them.

Why did you choose Syracuse? Was it your first choice?

No. Actually, at first, Syracuse was my last choice. I brought it down to five teams and Syracuse, well, it was so cold. But when I came to visit the school it changed my whole perspective. I really liked the coaches and the whole camaraderie with the team and everything. So after I came to visit and really saw it for myself, I was like, yeah I can go here. It ended up being my number 1. But to this day I’m still not used to the cold.

Describe your experience playing for the Orange.

It was a great experience. As far as the fans… great fans, you know. Travelling was great. For me, you know, I never really travelled a lot like that so when it came to going to different places, going to other colleges, doing things I never got the chance to do, it gave me the opportunity to do that.

Is there any one game that was most memorable for you?

South Florida my Freshman Year, I had my first interception. And it was back at home in Tampa, right in front of my mom, too. Right when I caught the pick it was right in front of my mom, like we were on the Syracuse section. But the only time I can remember crying was the last game in the Dome. I didn’t want to take off the jersey. I got a few of the seniors and I was like, “let’s just go run another lap.” We were giving handshakes to all the fans and they were saying, “thank you for 4 great years,” and I’m just like, “damn man, you right. It has been 4 great years.”

It seems like you’ve only played football your whole life. Is there anything other than football that you wanted to play?

Basketball was a big part, too. I started playing basketball first. I played basketball when I was in high school too. But I realized I wasn’t getting any taller. There were colleges interested, though.

You’re leaving with 4 championship rings; you’ve gone from Pinstripe Bowl to Big East Championship to another Pinstripe Bowl to Texas Bowl. How do you think you’ve grown from the first title to the last?

As a player it kind of humbles you. You get a bowl ring, you’re happy, but it makes you more hungry because you want more. You know, you see these guys who hold up their hand and have two rings on each finger and I’m like alright, I got to do that. But, you know, I just wanted to play football, D1, I wanted to be in a videogame. I wanted to do all the stuff I used to dream about doing. Then you get to do it and it’s great. So no matter how bad it goes, no matter hard practice is, at the end of the day we’re living the dream.

What advice do you have for the Freshmen and any other future players?

I would say to manage your time. You got to manage your time. Try not to party too much. It’s just all about focus. You have to take your studies just as serious as football. I always remembered that when the work had to be done, I did it.

Has there ever been a time when someone told you you couldn’t do something…and you knew without a doubt that they were wrong?

All the time. Hell, when I left high school they told me I wouldn’t go to college because there was a class my Junior year that I didn’t pass and I retook it, but they didn’t take the credit through NCAA. So the teachers and my guidance counselors said it wasn’t looking good for college or D1. I told them they were wrong. So I took a semester’s worth of class in 2 weeks and I did it and pass the clearing house for the SAT and I ended up making it all. I put my mind to it and said I got to make it there…and now here I am, 4 years later. I’m glad I went through that because it made me stronger.

And then in college, playing football, you have people saying you’re too short to play, because I’m short. I said whatever, because my freshmen year I was on the All Big East Freshman Team. Just all the people that say you can’t, you can’t let them tell you that. If you see it, you can believe it, you can do it.

You’re graduating next week. What would you say is your biggest accomplishment on the field?

On the field my biggest accomplishment: being a 4 year starter. You know, coming in and being able to play as a freshmen even though I broke my hand the summer that I came in right before we went into camp.

And off the field?

Oh graduating early! Graduating in 3 ½ years and just, you know, beating the odds. Being able to say, “you know what I’m going to do my work, I’m going to get my degree and I’m going to graduate in 3 ½ years,” and actually being able to do that, so that’s a huge accomplishment for me.

If you didn’t play football, are there any organizations that you would’ve joined on campus?

Hmm. If I didn’t play a sport, I probably would’ve joined a fraternity. I don’t know which one, but my dad pledged Kappa (Kappa Alpha Psi). So once upon a time he was trying to put it on. But then he realized how much football took my time, he said, “hey man it’s up to you. If that’s what you want to do, it’s your life even if you don’t want to pledge.” But other than that, I’d also wanted to have been involved with Broadcasting: CitrusTV. I always wanted to do, but I didn’t think they’d let me because I play sports. I probably should’ve asked somebody, but I never got around to it. Either that or made up my own sketch comedy show.  

What are your plans for the future? Where do you see yourself in 10 to 20 years?

Well I see myself in the NFL for at least the next few years. Right now I’m going through the whole process and I’ve been getting some good feedback from the agents and the teams. I’m just crossing my fingers and getting ready for whatever phone call I get. As far as after football, I’m trying to get into Broadcasting. It doesn’t even have to be sports. You’ll see me somewhere.

Alright, last question. #28, how long have you been wearing it and why did you choose that number?

They gave me the number. I wore #29 in high school. As long as they didn’t give me nothing in the 40s or the 30s, I’m cool. I just wanted a number in the 20s. So they gave me 28, a step down from 29, but I wasn’t mad. I could’ve changed it, but when they gave me the number I said I was going to make something of that number. I said I was going to have this number for the next 4 years and that I was going to make something of it.