Graduation Day Style Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Graduation day is such an exciting point in your life because not only does it acknowledge all of the hard work you’ve put into your classwork and extracurricular activities the past four years, but it also marks a completely new chapter in your life. It’s always fun to put extra effort into your look for special occasions, so we are here to help all of you graduates look and feel your best on the big day.

The dress: Since graduation is in the springtime, a sleeveless style works well for under those stuffy robes, and something that’s a little on the sleeker side will keep you from looking too bulky from under your robe. Also keep in mind that the ceremony is filled with your professors, and your classmates’ parents and grandparents, so while you want to look cute in photos with your friends on the big day, don’t reach for the tightest and shortest dress in your closet. Opt for a style that will look good with both your friends and family. One like this from Red Dress Boutique fits the bill. Bonus: it’s orange! (So basically you have to have it):

The accessories: While you don’t have to be completely minimalistic on the jewelry, try not to overdo it. One statement piece paired with other simple pieces is best- like a statement necklace and pearl earrings. Since you’ll you’ll be shaking hands, waving, and hugging people all day, try to avoid anything that jingles or makes a lot of noise. A necklace like this would be perfect:

The shoes: When you’re wearing your cap and gown, your shoes are going to be the main focal point because that’s all you can see, so they are just as important (if not more) as the dress you choose, but keep in mind that you’ll be walking, standing, and posing all day long, so comfortable shoes are a must. Be sure that they are a pair you are completely comfortable walking in, to avoid any on-stage mishaps. We suggest a pair of wedges because they’re comfier than stiletto heels, while dressier than flats or sandals. Try a pair like these from Steve Madden:

The makeup: Makeup that gives you a natural glow will make you look radiant so you look fresh and glowing all day! Don’t forget a little setting powder and finishing spray, so your look stays all day long!  This post will help you achieve a glowing look:

The hair: Loose curls that are concentrated towards the bottom of your hair (with the part that’s under the cap on the straighter side) is perfect for combatting hat hair. It’s a deconstructed look, so when you take your cap off, you can quickly tousle your hair with your fingers and you’ll be left with a perfectly “undone” look. These curls are the perfect style:

Congratulations to the Class of 2014! We wish you the best of luck!