This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

The first thought that comes to mind immediately following a breakup is the hope of him showing up at your door with flowers and a long, heartfelt apology. He’ll stand there in front you and confess his love, say he’s sorry and that he promises to make it up to you. That’s every girl’s post-breakup dream, even if she won’t admit it. However, the responses to these seemingly grand, romantic gestures differ. Some girls simply wish for that “white horse” montage to occur so that they can get closure. Then they continue reject the guy, putting themselves in the ultimate place of power. Other girls would willingly run into the guy’s arms and engage in a “Notebook” style kiss in the rain. But who’s to say which response is right and which is wrong?

Relationships are not black and white or wrong and right. Everything depends on the circumstance, the timing and the two people. Putting aside the fact that your dad hates him or that your friends say you could do so much better, the decision is ultimately up to you. So tread with caution.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is your happiness. You have to consider whether you’re happier with him or without him in your life. Next, you have to consider whether or not he is good for you. You can easily fall for someone who treats you with less respect or love than you deserve and never even notice. So focus on this thought: does the good he does outweigh the bad? To answer this question, make a pro-con list. Make a list of all the things you love about him, all the things he’s done right, then make a list of all the things you hate about him, all the things he’s done wrong, and all the times he’s hurt you. Read over this list very carefully. Make sure you’re not missing or overlooking any key details from your relationship.

The next step is to consider why you two broke up in the first place, and whether it could work again. You have to be realistic about your situation. Remember why you broke up, how you hurt each other and if you could ever forgive each other. Then consider if it’s in both of your best interests to get back together. Lastly, make sure you really want him, more than anyone else. And make sure that he really wants you because if one person is done, it will not happen. You both have to try and meet each other halfway in order for getting back together to work.

Finally, know that everything happens for a reason, and sometimes, even though it breaks your heart, you have to accept the fact that it just is not meant to be. If two people are really meant to be, but for some reason they fall apart somewhere along the line, they will find their way back to each other. If it’s meant to be, it will be, and if it’s not, it’s not.

MC is a sophomore at Syracuse University. Her passions include writing and production. Follow her on instagram @mcbarnardd
Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO