A Fairy Tale Lover’s Review of Netflix’s “A Christmas Prince”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Almost every little girl growing up has wanted to be a princess. Those of us who are millennials were even further influenced due to the age of the great Disney princess movies. We dressed up in our princess gowns, tiaras and longed to meet our very own Prince Charming. We have lived vicariously through the princesses we have seen on screen since childhood, and that continues into adulthood for many of us; how else could you explain our fascination with all things that have to do with the British monarchy?

This holiday season Netflix has offered us another rag to princess story to fall in love with, no matter how cheesy it may be at times. “A Christmas Prince” is the story of a want-to-be New York reporter named Amber who gets her big break when her editor asks her to fly to the country of Andovia to cover the “playboy prince” Richard and see if he takes the throne after his fathers’ death. Amber poses as Martha Anderson, the new tutor to princess Emily as she goes undercover to get her story. Throughout the process, she grows close to the royal family, especially prince Richard, and uncovers some family secrets that force her to choose between her job and the family she has grown fond of.

While many have drawn comparisons from this movie to “The Princess Diaries” movies, the entirety of the first time I watched I couldn’t help but think, “Wow this is a holiday version of “The Prince and Me.”” The storyline and many scenes are extremely similar to that of “The Prince and Me,” but many of the scenes are similar to those in “The Princess Diaries 2,” the most striking being the archery scene, giving merit to those who argue that point.

While “A Christmas Prince” is essentially the holiday “The Prince and Me,” it has its own moments, usually of awkwardness, that make it stand apart. And while there are moments,

that makes you think, “Who produced this film with all of these weird inconsistencies and how did Netflix allow that?” overall you cannot help but to fall in love.

“A Christmas Prince” is the quintessential story of the ordinary girl who somehow winds up in a castle and ends up falling for the prince. It is cheesy, it has been done plenty of times, but it is still an adorable and enticing story and film that you cannot help but fall in love with. It keeps the hope alive that we will all find our Prince Charming one day and live happily ever after. The bonus, it combines the classic fairy tale with a holiday spin. And the prince is super cute too, which never hurts.

Taylor is a current graduate student at S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University majoring in Magazine, Newspaper and Online Journalism. She graduated from Fairleigh Dickinson University in May 2017 where she majored in Communications with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism and minored in Public Relations. She is also an alumna of Phi Sigma Sigma. Taylor is interested in entertainment, pop culture, fashion and beauty writing.
Larry is the feature writer at Her Campus covering entertainment, lifestyle, and relationship news. He is a huge fan of Ariana Grande. Also, he is always providing helpful tips on how to be your best self. When he’s not writing at HC, he is either working out at the gym, exploring coffee shops, or touring the city for the best pizza spots.