neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

End the Semester Strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

As the end of the semester approaches, it’s time to out your best foot forward and ace those last projects and exams. Summer is almost here, and to motivate you to study, we have gathered a few tips that will almost guarantee you an A.

1. Study a little every day.

While you might not have a quiz/exam every week, studying every day will actually save you time when you actually have to study for a final. Not to say that you should study hours for each class, but take a half hour three times a week to do so. If you read the material in advance and go over your notes, you will be able to be more engaged and actually ask questions in class.

1. Take a break.

Learning is more effective when you do it in smaller increments. Focus for twenty-five minutes, then take a five minute break. This will improve your memory and properly utilize your attention span. Our generation is used to having “commercial breaks,” so inevitably we have a hard time trying to focus on any subject for prolonged periods of time.

1. Be there.

Going to class makes a huge difference, trust us. As amazing as sleeping in is, it’s important to actually know what was covered in class when you are studying. Plus, you don’t want to be that annoying person who is always emailing their classmates to ask about the material.

1. Be on time.

This is self explanatory. If you’re going to take the time to go, might as well show up on time and not disturb the entire class.

1. Build a relationship with your professor.

Go to office hours, ask questions and allow him or her to know that you truly care about what is taught in their classroom. Being an active student is about more than just turning in your papers and showing up to class. This will not only help you when it’s the end of the term and you are on the edge of a grade, but you will have people you can count on for letters of recommendation next semester.

1. Be up front.

It’s been proven that students who sit in the front or in the middle section are more prone to paying attention and are overall more successful in class. Of course, if you manage to sit in the back and still pay attention, by all means go ahead, but if your grades start dropping, keep this in mind.

1. Take notes.

It is scientifically proven that simply highlighting your textbook or handout is not effective, so take some time to get out your colored pens and take notes. This will help you retain the information, and there are many ways to do it:

1. Include examples and non-examples: this helps with distinguishing what is right from what is not.

2. Color code.

3. Create external associations with mnemonics: for instance, by remembering ‘ROY G. BIV’ you can reproduce the order and colors of the the rainbow.

4. Draw concept maps.

1. Be on edge.

Make sure you are sitting up straight and keeping a good posture in class. A slouchy posture will most likely reflect as a slouchy grade.

I'm Ana Lua. I'm currently a Marketing Management major at Whitman looking into transfering to Acting in VPA. I'm originally from Boston, but I've been moving around the world throughout my entire life to places like Brazil, China and Portugal. I love to travel and all things artsy and cute! I also like to write music and have a youtube beauty channel.
Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO