A Collegiette’s Guide to Safe Drinking on Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Nothing says ‘midterms are over’ like a jewel-toned drink and a paper umbrella. But before that drink turns into 10 – the average number of drinks women report downing per day during Spring Break – check out our tips for making sure tropical-drink overload doesn’t ruin your trip. Remember: it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

During the Day:

Stay Hydrated

When you’re sipping on cocktails and sitting on the equator, drinking water is essential. Down a glass with each drink you order, and don’t rely on thirst alone to remind you to keep at it. Symptoms of dehydration include weakness, dizziness, and headache. If you need to get out of the sun to take a breather, pour a tall glass of ice water to bring with you.

Don’t Drink in the Hot Tub

Chatting in the hot tub is a great way to bond – but there’s a reason the conversation gets so raucous so fast. Both alcohol and jacuzzis expand your blood vessels, increase dehydration, and add to your risk of overheating. If you plan on partying all day, the hot tub could stop you in your tracks.

Choose your Drink Wisely

• In general, the darker or sweeter the drink, the harder the hangover. Stick to drinks you can see through, and try not to mix too many types of alcohol at once.
  • When it comes to mixers, a recent Australian study found that diet drinks send alcohol into the bloodstream faster than their full-calorie counterparts.
  • Be wary of midday shots and shotgunned beers. A shot still counts as one drink, so prepare to slow down a bit after doing a round.
  • If you’re looking for a drink to help pace yourself, choose something on the bitter side – it will be harder to chug.

Get Some Z’s

Tiredness leads to higher BAC than normal because with less energy, the liver is less efficient at processing and eliminating alcohol. Spring Break is all about relaxing, so don’t feel guilty about missing out on any early-morning debauchery.

The Next Morning:

Eat a Good Breakfast

If you find yourself with a hangover, try eggs. Eggs contain both taurine and cysteine, amino acids that can both reverse liver damage and help the body flush out toxins. Sports drinks like Gatorade will help replenish the electrolytes lost while drinking. For potassium, try a banana.  If you plan on going for round two, load up on carbs with toast or pancakes. 

Skip the Hair of the Dog

The reason you’re hungover in the first place is because alcohol is toxic. If your first drinks of the day are mimosas and Bloody Marys, your body won’t have time to recover, and you’ll wind up feeling even worse later on. Stick to a virgin mimosa – err, orange juice.

Go for a Walk

You don’t need to hit the hotel gym to get the benefits of exercise for your hangover – in fact, taking a walk along the beach with a bottle of water is better. Experts suggest low to moderate exertion to kill hangovers. Getting a bit of fresh air couldn’t hurt, either. 

Sprite and Ibuprofen

A recent Chinese study found that out of 57 beverages, Sprite was one of the best for fighting hangovers. If you still can’t catch a break, pop some ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) instead of acetaminophen (Tylenol).  

To get the most out of Spring Break, it’s important to be in the moment, and not in the hotel room nursing a hangover or nausea. So stay hydrated, fuel up, and have a safe and relaxing trip!

Juliana LaBianca is a magazine journalism major at Syracuse University.