Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Syracuse Celebrities

Student Spotlight: Guy Campbell

By Allie Caren
October 31, 2011 - 9:33pm

In 6th grade, I poked fun at him for effortlessly getting high grades in our classes. I said he had special waves coming through his then-trendy Afro, “sending” him the answers.

Senior year of high school we joked and dreamed through tons of English classes together – talking mostly of nothing substantial, but discussing in detail what our futures would bring at SU. READ MORE

Speaker Spotlight: Chuck Porter

By Elora Tocci
October 18, 2011 - 9:05pm

Advertising mastermind Chuck Porter from the CP+B Advertising Agency spoke in the Herg in Newhouse III Tuesday night. What did students think? It's not hard to figure out -- SU students were actively tweeting during his talk. Here's a compilation of our favorite #chuckporter tweets. The future is unclear- It is up to us to figure out where advertising is going READ MORE

Program Spotlight: CONNECT Syracuse

By Michelle Wong
October 9, 2011 - 12:50am

Are you an aspiring broadcast journalist at Syracuse University? Have you ever heard of the program, CONNECT Syracuse? It's a public affairs program that's broadcast locally every week, and produced 100% by students. It's a great opportunity for students who may not have the time to commit to the other two networks on campus, but want to have some experience and some videos in their portfolios. It's especially great for freshman and sophomores who don't have any serious broadcast journalism classes, but want to do more besides "storytelling" behind the camera. READ MORE

Program Spotlight: EEE at SU

By Michelle Wong
October 1, 2011 - 11:50pm

READ MORE

Building Spotlight: The Hall of Languages

By Allie Caren
September 19, 2011 - 10:30am

We’re not creepy, kooky, mysterious, or spooky, right? Think again. Yes, it’s true: our very own Hall of Languages was the model for the original Addam’s
Family house located at its first (of three) addresses – 0001 Cemetery Lane. The Hall of Languages, a prominent icon to those unfamiliar and otherwise with
Syracuse University, was built in 1873. Overseen by our first Chancellor, Alexander
Winchell, the $136,000 building is mainly composed of Onondaga limestone. READ MORE

Student Spotlight: Lexi Madison

By Christina Fieni
September 5, 2011 - 12:51am

She’s been referred to as a sassy beast with just the right combination of wit, class and
intelligence. Why you may ask? Those on campus know her to be the kind of person always
up for a new challenge; constantly ready and willing to join a new organization on campus or
dedicate her time to the activities she holds dear to her heart. As an Orientation Leader, member
of NRHH (National Residence Hall Honorary), Phi Sigma Pi (National Honor Fraternity), SU
Habitat for Humanity, and former Vice President of Community Council for Day Hall it’s hard
to believe she has much time to sleep. You can find her strolling across campus in a cardigan,
high-waisted skirt and gladiator sandals holding her favorite Starbucks...

Professor Spotlight: Margaret Himley

By Elora Tocci
April 29, 2011 - 10:19am

The black-and-white photograph hangs underneath the window, resting against the wood-paneled wall of Margaret Himley’s third-floor office in the Tolley Building. The photograph is simple, a close-up of a street sign. Gay St, the sign reads. READ MORE

Meet Superwoman AKA Jessica Cunnington '12

By Lindsay Cameron
April 12, 2011 - 7:29pm

Year: Junior Major: Broadcast Journalism Minor: Political Science Hometown: Yorktown Heights, NY READ MORE

Celeb Alumna Spotlight: Vera Farmiga

By Michelle Wong
April 9, 2011 - 11:26pm

Vera Farmiga has become one of the biggest names in Hollywood, and she has Syracuse University to thank. When she was younger, Farmiga wanted to be an ophthalmologist, but quickly changed her mind after attending SU’s College of Visual and Performing Arts (VPA). Her latest blockbusters include The Departed, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Up in the Air, Orphan, and the 2011 movie, Source Code.

READ MORE

Alumna Spotlight: Robin Toner

By Elora Tocci
March 31, 2011 - 3:07pm

Robin Toner was, quite simply, a force to be reckoned with. After graduating summa cum laude from SU and working in journalism, she went on to become the first woman to be a national political correspondent for The New York Times. She passed away in 2008 at 54, and newspaper professor Charlotte Grimes created the Toner Prize this year to honor excellence in political reporting. READ MORE