This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Name: Brad Slavin

Age: 21

Academic Year: Senior (one semester left!)

Major: Television Radio Film / Information & Systems Management Dual Major

Relationship Status: International Man of Mystery

What organizations are you involved in on campus and what positions do you hold in these organizations?

– Otto’s Army (@OttosArmy) – Executive Communications Officer

– University 100 Ambassadors (@SyracuseU100) – Co-Executive Director

– Starship NEXIS (@StarshipNEXIS) – Social Media Director

– CitrusTV (@CitrusTV) – Former General Manager

When did you decide you wanted to attend Syracuse University/How long have you been a fan of the Orange? Did this have any influence on your involvement with Otto’s Army?

It’s kind of a funny story… It might shock everyone, but Syracuse wasn’t originally my top choice. There were some paperwork issues with the school I thought I wanted to go to, and before long I had to look at my options again. The day I finally visited Syracuse I pretty much knew it was the place for me. Now I say it’s the best mistake that’s ever happened.

Also surprisingly, I really wasn’t aware of SU enough to be a big fan before I came here. I was always a sports fan, especially college football but never really with a strong team affiliation. That all changed once I decided to come to SU. I obviously went to all the games, and pretty early on got involved with Otto’s Army. By the end of my freshman year I was on the Executive Board, and I’ve spent a lot of my college career trying to make us one of the best student sections in the country!

What was it like to be a co-host of Orange Madness this year?

Hosting Orange Madness this year was a crazy experience. Syracuse Athletics really allowed me and Ryan Henry, my co-host, a lot of freedom with the script. I realize I’m not a basketball superstar, but running out of the tunnel at the beginning of the night with lights and smoke and music blasting was one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had. The crowd was probably expecting the team, and they got us, but I’m glad they cheered anyway. Definitely a memory that’ll last a lifetime.

What was the coolest thing to happen to you during your experience at SU?

This is a really tough question to answer. I’ve been able to do a lot of awesome things at SU, and for some reason been given microphones in front of some pretty large crowds. It might not be number one, but one that most people don’t know is that during my sophomore year I convinced Newhouse to pay for me to go to an annual film and TV convention. Here’s the kicker, it was in Las Vegas during classes. I was the only undergrad student there, and got to make my own agenda with some of the coolest tech and guest speakers all around me. Plus, it was Vegas!

Do you have any advice for new students who might be interested in joining Otto’s Army or becoming more involved on campus in general?

Every student who goes to a Syracuse sporting event is a member of Otto’s Army. We want as many people to come out to all of the games, not just basketball. We had some really rowdy football student sections this year, which was great. We also had a blast when we packed the hill for a soccer match earlier this year. Otto’s Army wants the game day experience to be a party, while also making life really difficult for the other team.

The biggest part that most people don’t realize is that OA meets outside of the games. Everyone is welcome to our bi-weekly meetings, and anyone can pitch an idea for a new chant, cheer, or student giveaway. With College Gameday coming for Duke next semester, we’ve got a few exciting tricks up our sleeves.

What was the most memorable sports event of your college career? Why?

Again, too many to pick just one. Standing in a blizzard at the last Pinstripe Bowl while we crushed West Virginia was pretty fun. I flew back from my semester in Los Angeles for the last Georgetown game (and for some reason can only remember the first half…) 

I’d like to think that my favorite memories, both sports and otherwise, are still yet to come. We have UNC and Duke both coming to the Dome next semester, and attendance records will definitely be broken. With one semester left before I’m a real person, I’m definitely going to make the most of my time left at Syracuse.

Thanks for asking me to do this, and GEORGETOWN STILL SUCKS!

SU cheerleader obsessed with coffee, fashion, and fitness!