free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celeb: Kanique Swinson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

She has a lovable personality and she’s super fun to be around! Meet our Campus Celeb: Kanique Swinson!

Major(s): Marketing Management/ Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises

Year: 2016, Senior

Involvement on Campus: President of Whitman Student Government, Mentor Resident Advisor in BBB Residence Hall, Remembrance Scholarship Recipient, Social Media Intern at Office of Multicultural Affairs, Study Abroad Ambassador, and Ambassador for Student Philanthropy Council

What have your years at SU taught you?

Your experience in life is everything you make it to be! If you are nervous or scared to take a chance, you might leave your dreams behind. My best experiences at Syracuse have been when I applied to something or tried on a whim, and each time I was glad I did because they paid off!

What are you most looking forward to this semester?

As a senior, I am just focused on making this semester count! I want to FINALLY find a great balance between good grades, a social life, and sleep (if it exists)!

You held two internships this summer. Can you elaborate on the companies for which you interned and the work you did there?

This summer I worked as a Marketing and A&R Intern for Roc Nation Entertainment Group and as a Personal Assistant to entertainment industry veteran Valeisha Butterfild-Jones in New York City. Both experiences taught me so much about music and about the industry. I had the opportunity to work on an album and tour campaigns for many big-name artists.I also got the opportunity to work alongside hip-hop industry pioneers.

Did it ever feel overwhelming juggling two internships? How were you able to stay grounded?  

I felt extremely overwhelmed sometimes, but because both internships were so different it was easy to balance them. For my internship with Roc Nation, I was in their office Monday through Friday, and my internship with Valeisha Butterfield-Jones was virtual. So I had to find a balance between being present at Roc Nation while being available by my phone for Valeisha when she needed my assistance or guidance with anything.

I stayed grounded by never forgetting where I came from and by remaining humble through everything. Being humble goes so far in the entertainment industry because so many people want those exclusive positions. You have to remember to be thankful for the opportunity and to keep in mind that, as an intern, you are there to learn from the experts and to offer your insight as a college student!

What advice do you have for students who are looking to land their dream internship?

Network. Network. Network. The entertainment industry is about what you know, but more importantly who you know. If you do not know someone in the industry, there are so many ways to get to know someone! Reach out to your college’s alumni who might be in the industry, find professionals on LinkedIn, or join a local GRAMMY U chapter!

You’re graduating this year; congratulations! What do you plan to do after you leave SU?

Thank you! After I leave Syracuse I plan to go and get my Master’s Degree in New York City and work part time in the industry! I am applying to graduate programs now!

If you could say anything to the “freshman Kanique of three years ago,” what would you say?

Do not get so wrapped up in schoolwork that you let your social years pass you by! Enjoy your college years because you will have so many more years to do work. You only live

once… that seems to be the motto.

Favorite Song: Love Yourz by J. Cole

Favorite book: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Hidden Talent: I trained professionally for 7 years as a choral music vocalist!

Celebrity Crush: J. Cole! ☺

Quote to live by: “Everything happens for a reason!”

Campus event of all time: 1st Syracuse vs. Duke Basketball – Syracuse beat Duke in overtime 91-89! The energy on campus that day was incredible!

My name is Zaynah Anderson. I'm a sophomore majoring in Television, Radio and Film with a minor in Marketing. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY which I love dearly but my dream is to move to Los Angeles, CA after college to launch a successful career in entertainment. I love children, music, writing, binge-watching shows on HGTV and I LOVE PIZZA!