Campus Celeb Caroline Friedman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

She’s creepy and she’s kooky, mysterious and spooky. She’s altogether ooky – she’s Caroline Friedman! Snaps to Campus Celeb, Caroline, who will be playing the OG badgirl Wednesday Addams in First Year Players’ upcoming production of The Addams’ Family.

Major: Television, Radio, & FilmYear: Freshman 
How did you react when you found out that you were cast as such an iconic role, Wednesday Addams, in The Addams’ Family?

I was beyond thrilled when I found out I was cast as Wednesday! Wednesday has always been a character that I really related to in an odd way, so getting to portray her is wonderfully cool! She’s a super smart and independent character, and it’s great to get to play someone as strong-willed as she is. 

Have you been involved in theatre for a long time?

I found my love for theatre in middle school and have been pretty devoted to it ever since. Most of my high school memories involve theatre in one way or another. 

What is it like to be a part of First Year Players?

It is like being in the most welcoming, most hilarious, most incredible family where everyone happens to be insanely talented!!! 

Do you have a favorite memory from the rehearsal process thus far?

I have too many favorite memories to count!!! Most of my favorite memories happen when the whole cast eats breakfast together in between rehearsal on Saturday mornings. It’s a time for us all to just to relax and joke around with each other without having to worry about the stress of the week.  

How do you get in the mindset to play Wednesday?

I listen to a lot of Evanescence.

Recently, an “Adult Wednesday Addams” video went viral. What was your take on the video, and did the featured actress in that short give you any inspiration for your portrayal?

I absolutely loved the “Adult Wednesday Addams” video!!! I’ve always considered Wednesday to be a strong feminist role model, and I thought it was amazing to see her stand up against catcalling and the objectification of women. 
What can audience members take away from FYP’s production of The Addams’ Family?

The importance of family!!!

If you lost your memory in the Bermuda Triangle, what new personality would you develop?

I would want to develop the personality of Emma Stone because she’s crazy awesome! 

Is there such a thing as too much cheese?  

NEVER! BRING ON THE CHEESE!!!!

What is some advice you would give to incoming freshman who wants to stay involved in the arts, but not necessarily major in them?

AUDITION FOR FIRST YEAR PLAYERS!!!! (Or any student run theatre organization on campus!!!) Put yourself out there and audition for everything (acapella, drama club, sketch comedy groups, etc…) Getting involved will not only help you keep your passion for the arts alive, but will also give you the opportunity to make amazing new friends!
Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO