Books Every Collegiate Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

There are very few things in life that are better than a good book. As college students having to do tons of reading for class, we sometimes forget how enjoyable a book can be. They are perfect for every occasion, from lounging on lazy Sundays to sitting in waiting rooms. As you  cruise through your four or five years at ‘Cuse, check out these books every collegiate should read!

1. Bossypants by Tina Fey

If you are searching for a book that is equally funny as it is inspiring, look no further! Tina Fey tells us the story of her life in a hilarious and compelling way. From the tales of her days at The Second City theatre to her time at SNL, this book covers everything. Her personal struggles in the early years and as a woman in the entertainment industry are both relatable and comical.

2. Graduates in Wonderland by Jessica Pan and Rachel Kapelke-Dale

This book tells the story of two girls struggling to build a career right out of college. Since graduation is right around the corner for some, this is another must read memoir! It will remind you that it’s ok to feel lost and not know what you are going to do in the real world. Not only will you be able to embark on the journey of figuring out who you are, but you will also get some pretty cool insight on the various cities the characters go to, from NYC to China.

3. The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron

I recently enrolled in a twelve-week course that basically walks you through this book. Initially, I thought it would be mainly beneficial to artists, but now I know that anyone should read this book. The book guides you through a path of self-discovery, which is great for all of us trying to figure everything out: how to manage money or how to omit toxic people from your life. What makes it so unique is that you have tasks to accomplish every week, so it feels like you are not in this journey alone. By the end of this book, not only will you feel extremely creative, but you’ll know how to love yourself like never before!

4. Q&A A Day: A Five Year Journal

I don’t know if this technically qualifies as a book, but I thought I’d add it to the list. This journal basically asks you a different question every day and then the same question on that exact day of the coming year for five years. This is a great way to see how you change over time and how you’ve gotten to where you are without having the pressure of keeping a full journal.

5. NYC: Basic Tips and Etiquette by Nathan W. Pile

Let’s face it, Syracuse is pretty small and chances are that we will all leave for the city  once we graduate. Although not all of us will head to the Big Apple, this is a great guide for anyone who’s moving to a city that never sleeps. The author gathered a series of tips and tricks that will make you feel like a local in no time.

6. Style by Lauren Conrad

Lauren Conrad always looks fabulous, whether she’s dressed to run errands or for a night out. This book is a great guide for someone who is starting their adult life. It will give you tips on wardrobe essentials, sample packing lists, and a few pointers on how to style one dress for different occasions. It’s not necessarily a cover to cover read, but it is a great book to refer to and will look super cute on your coffee table. Plus, since the book focuses on the essentials, it leaves you enough creative space to adapt suggestions to your own style.

7. I Just Graduated… Now What? by Katherine Schwarzenegger

This book is proof that even Schwarzenegger’s daughter didn’t know what she wanted to do after college. Complete with tips from the most successful people out there, it is sure to comfort and inspire you to pursue all of your dreams. Answering questions from how to land your first job to how to pay off your student loans, this book is a must read for anyone soon to graduate!

I'm Ana Lua. I'm currently a Marketing Management major at Whitman looking into transfering to Acting in VPA. I'm originally from Boston, but I've been moving around the world throughout my entire life to places like Brazil, China and Portugal. I love to travel and all things artsy and cute! I also like to write music and have a youtube beauty channel.