7 Must-Watch Documentaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Perhaps I’m in the minority (which I don’t think I am) when I say that I am constantly on a mission to find the latest and greatest ways to self improve. Now, when I say self improve, I’m not talking about reading up on the latest diet craze or following the newest “Bikini Body” workout regimen (in fact, I actually think that these kinds of things are contributing to our country’s decline in health, but that’s another topic for another article). No, when I say self improvement, I mean finding ways to become more educated on important societal issues, to have a healthier state of mind, to nourish the body in the best way possible, the list goes on. One of my favorite ways to do this, I’ve found, is to watch documentaries. That said, I’ve taken the liberty of listing out a few of my favorites for anyone looking to learn a thing or two about themselves and the world around them!

1.      

Most people have probably already seen this movie, but I couldn’t not put it on the list… it’s just so fascinating! It basically offers some serious insight on the current state of the meat industry, how it affects American politics, and how it affects those of us who eat their products.

2.      

I recently discovered this little gem and let me tell you, I’m awfully glad I did! I learned so much and you will too if you watch it. I like to think that I’m pretty well-versed in the field of women’s rights, but this movie offered so many unique perspectives on how media’s portrayal of both women and men affects us in ways we don’t even realize. It’s a must-watch, you’ll learn so much and love every minute of it, I promise!

3.      

Ok, confession, I’m a bit of a food-oriented documentary junkie. This is another good one because it highlights all of the amazing ways in which our dietary-habits affect our health. It points out our tendency to fall back on pharmaceuticals to make up for the ways in which we are malnourished. I’ve probably watched this one about ten times, so it comes as no surprise when I say that I highly recommend it!

4.      

This was another fascinating one. It basically takes a closer look at the trends and patterns of the global economy. It is directed by multiple people who all have their own little excerpt so you get a very well-rounded take on the various facets of the global economy. It also taught me a thing or two about the power of propaganda. You’ll never believe the real reasoning behind the drop in crime rate during the 1990’s!

5.      

Surprise, surprise! Another documentary on the meat industry! Only this one focuses on the toll it takes on the environment. This one is a must-watch for anyone who considers themselves advocates for improving the environment. And even if you’re not super passionate about ending global warming (which admittedly, I am not), this is still a fascinating one to watch!

6.      

This movie offers up some seriously interesting facts on the typical lifestyle and habits of the world’s happiest people. I think I liked this movie so much because of how upbeat it is! If you’re not in the mood for something too heavy but still want to learn a few tips and tricks on how to be a better you, I definitely recommend giving this one a shot!

7.      

Food Matters is a fascinating look at the ways in which America addresses its health concerns. It combines the thoughts and perspectives of many experts in the health industry and basically explains the importance of proper nutrition. I like it because it offers ideas on how you can go about making sure you give your body the nutrients it needs on a daily basis.

This list only scratches the surface of the documentary world, but everyone has to start somewhere, right? I feel it important to mention that documentaries are great ways to learn more about improving yourself and the world around you, but that’s not to say that you should alter your lifestyle drastically every time you watch one. It took me a long time to realize that at the end of the day, each of these movies offers the opinion of one group of experts, and this opinion may be completely different from the opinion of another group of experts. Basically what I am trying to say is to take all of this information with a grain of salt. And if you see something that inspires you, read up on it to get all of the facts! Who knows, you may stumble upon a new healthy habit that changes your life!

Images provided by Amazon.com

I am a Junior studying Fashion Design at Syracuse University in Syracuse, New York. I was born and raised in California and grew up riding horses. I have an intense passion for Free People clothing and all things cat-related. My goal is to someday work as a fashion magazine editor. I also believe that chocolate is always the answer and T. Swift is queen. WARNING: All articles written by me will contain sarcasm. Thanks for reading!